Sunday, July 5, 2015

Useless Training...

Hello friends!

One of the things I heard over and over from folk once we told folk that we were having a baby was that I needed to get as much sleep as I could now because once the kid was born, I was going to miss all that sleep. My thought was to actually move in the opposite direction. I figured, if I spent time during Meg's pregnancy getting LESS sleep, I'd be better prepared and less affected by the lack of sleep that came once RaRa was born. Well, here's how that went…

From my research on the internet, there were two themes that emerged. One, in order to learn to function on less sleep than normal, the best method was to set a normal sleep time and a normal wake time that never changed. The theory is that no eventually the body would get used to the new rhythm and would regulate itself. Well, looking at my calendar, if I wanted to set my alarm for the same time every morning, it meant that I had to look at the earliest I would have to get up on any given day and resolve to get up at that time every single day. Looking at my calendar, that meant getting up @ 5am every morning to make it to my 6am men's small group on Tuesdays… oy.

Getting up at 5am every morning was hard and I didn't succeed every morning but there was one added benefit. Most days I didn't have something to do right away so I got to fish more. =0).

The second theme that emerged from my internet queries was that while it is possible to function on less sleep, it's not a smart proposition. I think I saw this as well. I didn't get deathly ill or anything like that. I didn't end up with more migraines or a weaker immune system. But, I could tell that I was more tired and that my body was struggling. I was surviving on less sleep but I wasn't thriving. Still, in my mind, if it made me a better father, then it was worth it.

Well, fast forward to RaRa being born and here's what I've learned… all my training was pretty useless. It isn't so much that I needed to learn to function on less sleep. Actually, what I needed to do was learn to function on shorter spurts of sleep. RaRa has been feeding every 2-5 hours. Those first few weeks, I was up with Megan to help her with the feedings, which means that I was up every 2-5 hours. It's actually possible to get 8-10 hours of sleep in a day. You just have to be prepared for it to come in 3-4 sleep sessions, which was not part of my training.

So, here we are. I'm still glad that I tried the experiment, if for no other reason than because I got to fish more. Still, as a word of warning to all those soon to be fathers out there: don't try to game the system. When people to tell you to get as much sleep as possible before your baby is born, take them up on it.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment