Friday, August 10, 2012

Roster Changes...

Hello, friends!

For better or for worse, professional sports (which I love) is a business.  It always has been a business but it seems like lately, it has become more of one.  This is seen through endorsements, merchandising, and a number of other avenues, but the one that probably makes my heart hurt the most is rosters.  I could be wrong but it seems to me that there was a lot less roster moving back in the day.  Folk used to stick with their teams for longer, allowing for chemistry and dynasties to be built.  Mind you, some of this was because of things like the reserve clause and I am glad that players have more rights than they used to have.  I get that roster changes make teams better and that sometimes change is in order to find that one piece that will turn your team from an also-ran into a contender.  As someone who is generally adverse to change, I would love it if players and teams showed one another a little more loyalty but when players change teams I understand that it is part of the business and that life goes on. 

Yesterday we had our first Area Team meeting of the new school year.  On top of a new school year being in front of us, we also have made a few roster changes.  Ashley and Elizabeth have moved on, Ashley moving it Seattle on account of getting married and Elizabeth taking a job with Urbana.  We have added Robert to our team as an intern and Howie has returned to be our interim Area Director while we search for a new one.  Chioma, Esther, Kale, Will, and I are still on the team but the roster does look a little different. 

What will be interesting will be how team dynamics change on account of the roster changes.  Suddenly guys outnumber gals (5-2) and PC's outnumber Macs (4-3).  Personalities are different, swapping an ENTJ and an ISFJ for an ESFJ and an ESTP.  Howie leads differently than Elizabeth does and Robert processes differently than Ashley does.  How we interact as a team will be different from last year. 

Added to that, each individual has changed a bit as well.  With the departure of Ashley, I am now the longest tenured staff in the Missouri Area (Howie has been on staff longer but he hasn't always been with the Area).  It's a little odd being the grizzled veteran.  =0). 

Ultimately, we are a different team.  There is no denying that.  What I love is that although there may be some roster changes and some role changes, one thing still remains the same, and that is our committment to our students and our dependence on Jesus.  We have no choice but to accept the change and I believe that with Jesus guiding us, this year will be better than ever. 

Prayer Points:
- Pray for our new team.  Pray that God will unite us and that we will work together for the benefit of all our students. 
- Pray for me as I prepare ACF's Pre-Fall Retreat.  There are many details to cover and I need all the help I can get.  =0). 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment