Sunday, August 5, 2012

An Olympic Sized Post...

Hello, friends!

We have reached the halfway point of the 2012 London Olympics.  We have seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  We have seen the thrill of victory as well as the agony of defeat.  We have seen Meg and me getting SUPER distracted by watching the Olympics every night and trying to multi-task.  =0).  I figured that now would be a good as time as any to post a few thoughts on the Olympics. 

Winter vs. Summer:  Meg and I both agree that the all the Olympics are awesome.  Where we disagree is between which of the games we would rather watch.  Meg prefers the Summer games, home to gymnastics, swimming, and track and field.  I, on the other hand, think that the Winter games are the most fun to watch, home to hockey, biathlon, and, of course, the greatest Olympic sport known to man.

The joy of obscure events: Sure, we know about the big events.  The average individual on the street would be able to tell you about who won gold in gymnastics or how the USA men's basketball team crushed Tunisia but how many know about handball, rowing, or field hockey?  See, those are the events that make me smile the most.  It could be because I like to know random facts about random things, or that I have a serious addiction to competition, or because I'm just a little odd.  Either way, the obscure events are where I find the most excitement. 

Rooting interest:  There are so many countries that I want to see win!  On the one hand, of course, the US of A is first in my heart.  But, there is also China, the land of my ancestors.  What about Great Brittain, the host country?  Or, how about Canada, the country with which I have an unusual (and possibly unhealthy, obsession?  Usually there isn't too much conflict but I do have a number of different rooting interests. 

Prayer at the Olympics: I was reading a book a while back that talked about "prayer hooks."  Prayer hooks are things that remind you to pray for certain things or people.  The example that the author gave was that whenever he uses chapstick he prays for his son-in-law, who uses a chapstick a ton.  A while back, I decided that the US national anthem was going to be my prayer hook for praying for our country and our elected officials.  Usually, this means when I go to baseball games and such but with the US being so awesome at the Olympics, I have been praying for our great nation quite a bit.  =0). 

Ultimately, the things that I love so much about the Olympics are the competition and the sense of world comraderie that comes from the games.  In about a week, the world will go back to focusing on how broken things are.  But, for the next few days, the Olympics are a what I would consider a little glimpse of heaven. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam 

No comments:

Post a Comment