Thursday, August 30, 2012

Adrenaline and Listening...

Hello, friends! 

The past few days have been pretty crazy.  Not only was there the normal travel stuff, we also had our first Large Group of the semester (more on that later) and I have been out the past few days with a pretty sizable migraine.

I've been battling migraines for I would say the better part of 13 years at this point, really since high school.  The cause of it isn't totally clear but we do have some clues.  My worst times of the year are March and October.  I am sensitive to changes in the weather.  Napping for less than 2 hours increases my chance for a migraine significantly.  Well, on Sunday afternoon it was super hot.  Sunday night it rained really hard, and then Monday morning it was hot again and I had a migraine.  These usually last for only a few hours but this one lasted for 3 days.  That is, until I got to Large Group. 

There must be something about adrenaline, or maybe the power of the Holy Spirit.  I can't say for sure whether or the extended headaches were because of some sort of spiritual warfare.  All I can say for sure is that I was feeling pretty bad on the car ride to our Large Group spot but as soon as I walked through the doors, I was feeling great!  Either adrenaline kicked in and I was numb to the pain or the Spirit came and kicked the enemy around.  Either way, I was feeling good. 

Onward to Large Group!  One of the really cool things about this semester is that we have a Large Group Coordinator.  Over the course of the summer, Jordan picked our topics, gathered a team of helpers, and infused a few new ideas into what Large Group was going to be this year.  He's been working really hard and today was his debut.  I would like to say that it was a smashing success. 

While I was hanging out with Jesus on Wednesday prior to Large Group, I read the passage in Acts 10 where Peter preaches to the house of Cornelius, the Holy Spirit falls, and everyone in the house becomes a believer.  I got the sense that maybe today was a day for students to make decisions to follow Jesus.  I checked with Jordan to see if I could have some time in case I continued to get that vibe.  He said that if the Spirit is speaking, I need to be listening. 

So, I listened.  One of our Sophomores gave a testimony about how much the ACF community meant to him and it was while he was talking that I felt the Spirit give me the ok to go.  The student was talking about how one of the things that he loved about ACF was how folk were willing to drop everything to help those in the community.  I spent a little time talking about exactly why that is.  We don't do it just because we are nice people.  We do it as a response to the love that Christ has shown us through His sacrifice.  Even though we are messed up folk, Jesus still died for us.  Following Him means following his example and laying down our lives for those around us.  I then challenged students in 3 ways: to commit to exploring who Jesus really is, to recommit their lives to Jesus, and to commit to serving Jesus through ACF. 

Praise Jesus!  One student committed to exploring Jesus more.  4 students committed to serving in ACF, and 1 student recommitted her life to Jesus! 

That was Large Group.  Was it perfect?  No.  We had some technical difficulties and we ran long but because we were listening to the Spirit, one gal came into the kingdom and another may be well on her way. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment