Thursday, June 28, 2012

Reversion...

Hello, friends! 
"Home" is a funny concept.  Some say that home is where the heart is.  Others say that home is where you're not (as in, no matter where I am, folk always ask when I am going home).  Home could be where you pay rent (or mortgage) or where you grew up.  Either way, home is a concept that does not have a ton of definition sometimes.  This can be especially true when you spend most of your time talking with college students who really aren't home when they talk to you so assume that you aren't home either. 

Right now I am back in California.  Some would say that I am home.  Others would say that I left home to come here.  Nowadays, I say that home is Saint Louis and California is where my parents live.  I tell you what though, if this isn't home, it's still great to be here. 

The temperature is Saint Louis hit 108 today.  There were heat advisories in effect and I heard that someone actually saw a dog melt on the side of the street.  (Ok, that may be fiction, but still, I'll bet it was hot).  In California?  Our high will be 79 today, nearly 30 degrees cooler.  That's quite a difference, isn't it? 

Let's be honest.  California has a lot of things going for it.  From where my parents live you're 20 minutes from the beach and less than 3 hours from the mountains.  The weather is usually gorgeous and the food is exquisite.  I always love coming back here, hitting my list of places to eat, spending some time at the beach, and hanging out with the family. 

But, there is one thing about California that I don't like (besides the traffic).  That would be "reversion." 

Another staff and I were talking about the idea of reversion a while back.  Reversion is the idea that when you go back to a place, you act like you did when you left that place.  In this case, it would mean going back to acting like I am 18, which was not a good time for me. 

It's really interesting, isn't it?  Here I am, 27, about to get married, with a steady job, a mortgage, a college degree, and a whole slew of other things going on.  I pay my bills, do my laundry, pay for my food, and clean my dishes.  But, as soon as I pull back into that driveway in Garden Grove, all that goes away (especially the dishes).  I go from a responsible adult to acting like a punk teenager. 

Understand, I am fighting reversion this year.  Actually, as soon as I recognized what was happening I decided to make a conscious decision to make sure that I didn't revert whenever I went back to California.  Some battles have been easier than others but I find it so interesting how quickly I revert.

So, to summarize, my time in California is going to be spent reconnecting with my family, doing some fundraising, and trying my darndest to act like the 27 year old I am.  =0). 

Prayer points: 
- Like I said earlier, much of my time while in California is going to be spent fundraising.  Please pray for God's peace and His providence. 
- I wouldn't mind some really good rest here in Cali.  There is a ton to do so I am not sure how much I will get, but I would love it if I left Cali more refreshed than when I came. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment