Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's a Small World!

Hello, friends!

I have really fun story to tell you all!  I promise you'll like it. 

Normally I leave for Columbia on Tuesday mornings then make my way back to Saint Louis on Wednesday nights so I can be in Saint Louis all day Thursday.  When I get married (100 days from today!!!) that will be important because it means that I will only be spending one night away from my wonderful wife.  =0). 

Well, this week I decided to stay Wednesday night in CoMo as well, then grab lunch with a student who lives in Saint Peters, which is sort of on the way back to Saint Louis from CoMo.  The original plan was for me to pick him up around 11:30 so we could get some food and I would be on the road again by 1. 

There were a number of choices that make this story really fun.  First of all, I had an errand to run in CoMo, so instead of getting to Saint Peters by 11:30, it was actually closer to 11:45.  I told my student to pick a place for lunch, and he asked me if I wanted something "good" or something "close."  Since I was running a little late, I said to pick something "close" and directed me to a hibachi place a few miles from his place.  The next decision was if we wanted to eat on the hibachi side or the sushi side.  Originally, I said the sushi side, but he really wanted hibachi, so we switched over to that side. 

For those who don't know what hibachi is, it's the japanese grill where the chef cooks the food right in front of you and you eat everything really hot and fresh.  Well, these big grills usually have 8-10 seats around them and since there were only 2 of us, the waitress asked if it would be ok if we were paired up with another party of 3 already sitting.  My student was reluctant, but I said that it wouldn't be a problem. 

Here is where it gets really fun.  As I am sitting there, talking to my student, I overhear the man across from us notice that my shirt says "InterVarsity" and he wonders aloud if "That is InterVarsity Christian Fellowship."  Being the kind of loud guy that I am, as well as a guy who is unashamed of eavesdropping, I say, "why yes, yes it is!"

It turns out that this guy was part of InterVarsity in 1984 at University of Missouri in Rolla.  His staff worker, Gerry Chappeau, is still on staff.  His daughter goes to UMSL, where there happen to be 2 InterVarsity chapters, he went to Urbana 1980, and he is interested in volunteering for Urbana12.  (See, I told you it would be fun!).  I got his contact information and will definitely be passing it on to the proper folk. 

So, there you have it.  If there is such a thing as divine intervention, I believe there is, lunch today was certainly it.  =0). 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment