Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tee Box Evangelism

Hello, friends! 

You guys know me.  You know that I love athletics and that I love to compete.  You know that I will watch, and play, everything from football to curling.  This summer, on account of a tons of transition, moving to Saint Louis, scouting new campuses, and things like that, and a lack of players, I didn't put together a summer softball team like I had the past 3 years.  We weren't very good, so I'm not really worried about that, but the loss of regular athletics time was a bit of a bummer. 

So, I decided that this summer would be the summer of golf.  I'm not very good at golf, and it is pretty expensive, but I am getting better and I definitely enjoy it.  There is something very satisfying about watching the ball fly off the tee and sometimes even go straight.  =0). 

Because of my schedule I golf out here in Columbia and I usually set up a tee time by myself.  However, that doesn't mean that I golf alone.  I have set up what I like to call "Tee Box Evangelism."  It goes like this.  Usually, when you set up a tee time as a single, you end up being paired with another single during that time.  Golf courses like to pack as many people onto the course as possible and usually you can get as many as 4 people playing at the same time without too much of a delay.  Singles an relatively inefficient but doubles are much better. 

Since folk have different skill levels there isn't much conversation that happens on most of the course, but there is one spot where all players start.  That would be the tee box.  I have decided that this summer I want to use my time on the tee box to do a little evangelism.  Nothing huge or grandiose, I won't be bringing any display boards or anything like that, but if we are going to be spending the next 4 hours together, we're going to have a conversation and I want it to be about Jesus.

It usually starts with me asking about how long the guy has been living in Columbia and what they do around these parts.  Some are students and some are working but it is a great conversation starter because then they ask me what I do out here and I get to tell them about InterVarsity.  From there I will usually talk about why I do what I do, inviting them to share about their experiences with religion and Christianity in general.  Sometimes folk are really open and sometimes folk don't really care.  That isn't the important thing. 

The important thing is that evangelism can happen anywhere.  It can happen on a golf course.  It can happen in a McDonald's.  It can happen in a bar or at home.  The setting isn't important.  What is important is that when we are given the opportunity to share Christ's love with others, we take it.  In my case it is via the golf course.  For my students it will be while studying or eating with their friends.  For others it will be at work or with their roommates.  It doesn't matter.  Jesus is in all those places. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment