Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Time, time, time...

Hello, friends!

First of all, Happy October to you all!  Here's hoping that this month is your best yet.  =0).

October means that Megan and I have officially been at the team leading thing for 3 full months now entering our fourth.  As I have been reflecting on what the differences are between being a Team Leader versus being a Campus Staff Member (CSM) the one big difference that jumps out to me is this: I have to be more intentional with my time.

Back in the day, things were a lot simpler.  I only had to worry about one chapter and one staff.  The chapter was Mizzou ACF and the staff was me.  If I didn't have something prepared in time or forgot to do something, I could adjust my schedule to prep it with minimal effort and minimal collateral damage.  Improvisation was a virtue because it allowed me to get stuff done as it came.

Now that isn't the case.  There are too many moving parts for improv to have the same effectiveness.  There are too many campuses, too many staff, and too many students for it to be a fly by the seat of my pants.  Everything has to be calculated and planned out weeks in advance because if it isn't too many things (and people) suffer.  Add that to the fact that Megan and I are co-Team Leading and things get even harrier.  Making unilateral decisions on the fly is not a good way to build trust with your co-leader (or your wife).

The simplest example I can give is with this blog.  When it was just me, I could blog whenever I wanted and usually had the time to do so.  If I wanted to hit pause on the day to write down something about what has happened then I could do that.  Now, Mid-MO is a fright train that will not stop easily.  I am going to have to be a lot more intentional about carving out time to blog and let you know everything that has been happening here in CoMO.

It doesn't stop there though and it certainly isn't just about team leading.  Intentional time is one of the things that I am learning about when it comes to being an adult.  I have to carve out time for friends.  I have to carve out time to recharge my batteries.  I definitely have to carve out time for Megan.  There is a lot of carving and not as much time to make sure all the pieces fit.

So, friends, please be praying for me as I continue to navigate new responsibilities and adulthood in general.  Please pray for wisdom and intentionality as I invest my time, resources, and energy in things that matter.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment