Monday, September 24, 2012

A Tiring, Restful Sabbath...

Hello, friends!

Y'all, I am really sore today.  Not just because I've been sleeping on a couch for the past few weeks.  No, I'm sore because I had one of the best Sabbaths in a long time. 

Sabbath is one of those interesting things that goes through seasons with me.  I absolutely believe that it is a biblical truth and that everyone should take regular Sabbath as a part of their walk with Jesus.  A few of the passages that have helped me in my Sabbath journey are Hebrews 4, Exodus 20, and Luke 9.  One of the most formative conference talks I ever heard was when a staff spoke on the Sabbath and one of the best trainings I ever received was on the Sabbath. 

Here's the trick that I've learned with Sabbath: do what gives you life.  Sabbath is not just about sleeping.  It's not about being lazy.  It's about doing what gives you life and finding ultimate rest in God.  So, what made this Sabbath so life giving?  Softball season started.  =0).

Men's slowpitch softball is pretty much the greatest thing ever.  I'm just going to put it out there.  There is no part of men's slowpitch softball that I don't like.  There's competition.  There's male comraderie.  There's athleticism.  There's baseball like motions.  There's strategy.  There's execution.  It makes my heart very happy. 

Is our team very good?  Absolutely not.  We got beat 14-2 yesterday, which activates the mercy rule.  We had trouble hitting, had plenty of miscues in the field, and walked too many batters.  The team we were playing were definitely better than us.  But, none of that matters because we got to play softball.

At the end of the day, I'm sore and we lost big.  But, I had an amazing Sabbath and I thank Jesus for the chance to rest in His rest while tiring myself running around the bases. 

Prayer Points:
- Less than 5 days until Meg and I tie the knot!  It's finally here!  Please pray for all the logistics that need to get done.  My parents' flight has already been delayed a few hours.  Let's pray that this is the worst thing that happens this week. 
- Please also be praying for Meg and my students these next few weeks as we prepare for the wedding then go on our honeymoon.  Please pray that they will continue forward with the mission and that great things will be happening on campus while we aren't there. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment