Thursday, February 2, 2012

Of Socks and Candy...

Hello, friends!

I have to tell you about the awesome afternoon I just had with BCM. 

Actually, the story starts on Monday.  On Monday we had our first BCM Monday night bible study.  We had been doing some things on Tuesday afternoons with some folk who were involved in the Gospel Choir, but this was a different group of students who were unavailable on Tuesday but free on Monday.  One of the beautiful things about being a new ministry is you have no structure.  All you have to do is meet students when they are free.  =0).

Originally, my plan was to study Acts 2:42-47, where Luke describes the new body of believers.  I wanted to set the tone for what our community could be.  However, when I got there, I felt like that passage was the wrong one to be using so I switched it up, instead going with Luke 10, where Jesus sends the 72.

My friends, apparently that was very much the right call.  The discussion was lively, the students (4 of them) were involved, and we even had a great missional application come of it!  In Verse 4, Jesus tells the disciples to bring no purse, no money, and no sandals, among other things.  Shamari took to this verse and suggested that we walk around the student center without shoes, bringing the message of God to the people.  What a great idea!

So, today was our day.  We picked up some candy from Sam's club, taped some bible verses and info about Mizzou BCM on the wrappers, and walked around the student center in just our socks, asking folk for prayer requests and giving away candy.

Two things jumped out to me during our time being missionaries.  The first is how open the black community is to prayer.  There were folk who turned down candy but wanted prayer.  That is not how I expected things would go.  In fact, I expected the opposite.  The second thing that caught my eye was how absolutely missional my students are.  Shamari and Chelsea joined me and they were all over it!  In fact, there wasn't a whole lot for me to do.  They handled the introductions, the explanations, and everything else.

It is a beautiful things a really beautiful thing when students are on fire for reaching out to the community.  There are still a few rough edges that need to be worked out, but during our debrief, both Shamari and Chelsea were ready to do it again.  Praise Jesus for missional students!

Points for prayer:
- Pray for continued momentum in both ACF as well as BCM.  In both groups it feels like something big is starting.  Pray that God will give me good direction on how to best direct these groups.
- For the next 24 hours or so I am going to be on a personal reflection retreat.  Please pray that God will be speaking to me and that I will feel his presence in a real way.
 - The past week has been a bad week for migraines.  Please pray for healing.  

Have an excellent day!

~Adam 


No comments:

Post a Comment