Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thriving in a Black Hole...

Hello, friends!

There is a book that a few of my friends have read called Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria.  It was written by a psychologist who studied racial dynamics on a number of different levels.  I have spent significant time at two universities, Washington University in Saint Louis (go Bears!) and now at Mizzou.  In both places, I have seen this phenomenon and lived through it.  In fact, it is a part of my mission here at Mizzou student.

At WashU, when you went to the student center on main campus, there were 2 levels for seating.  Directly inside the door were where the black students sat.  If you went down to the lower level and turned left at the stairwell, you would find the Asian kids all congregated.  I'm not sure when it started or if it is still going on now, but that's how it was and I didn't ask question. 

Here at Mizzou, there is a section of tables directly across from the information desk.  Between 11am - 5pm, it is affectionately known in the Black community as the "Black Hole."  There are about 1500 black students enrolled at Mizzou; the Black Hole mat be the highest concentration of them anywhere on campus at any given time. 

When I started work with BCM, I knew that the Black Hole was going to be my mission field.  So, I started hang out there as much as possible.  I learned a valuable lesson: there is a difference between being in the Black Hole and being a part of the Black Hole.  See, anyone can be in the Black Hole.  You can show up, sit yourself down, eat your food, get your work done, and leave, and no one will give you any trouble.  In fact, folk won't even give you a second look.  It is possible to be invisible.

But that isn't my mission.  I don't want BCM to be invisble in the Black community.  My first month of BCM this year it was terrible because I in the right place, but it wasn't the right time.  Then, I found the secret: An advocate. 

It goes like this.  If I show up and know somebody, I can have a conversation with them, and then, by extension, all the folk that he or she knows.  Then, the next time, I can have another conversation with someone who I met last time.  An the cycle continues and continues. 

Right now, I am writing this blog post while sitting in the Black Hole, but also having conversations with one of my BCM students and the folk who come by and sit down by her at our table.  There have been days where I have been able to start Bible studies, have spritual converations, and make inroads, all because of having a few advocates. 

God is moving in subtle ways, but He is moving.  That's kind of exciting, isn't it?  =0).

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment