Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Special Time...

Hello, friends! 

I was talking to a coworker of mine the other day about how busy life has gotten with school and all the extracurriculars that have started. Ezra is playing soccer and both Ezra and Thaliea are in Cub Scouts. Between the stuff for the kids and our commitments with church, Megan and I have both mentioned how it seems like we have something every night of the week. 

One of the things that I used to do with the kids before they were in school was "Special Time." It usually involved me taking one of the kids to QT to eat a donut and to talk about their day. Then, I'd drop off that kid to pick up the other kid to do the same (Jonah was usually napping). It was great because the kids felt like they got some one on one time, and I got to eat multiple donuts. It really was a win-win. When Ezra started school, it got a lot harder to find time for us to do "Special Time." Now that Thaliea's in school too, she's also missing out. In some ways, it's a definite bummer. 

But, as I was talking to my coworker, I realized something. I'm coaching Ezra's soccer team, which is sort of like our own special time. I'm leading Thaliea's Cub Scout den, which she absolutely loves because to her, that's our special time. On Mondays, when both of the older kids are at school, Jonah and I run errands and such for our own special time. It looks different but it's still something that resembles one-on-one time with each kid. 

We only have 3 kids, compared to the 4 that my parents had, so I'm not sure how they juggled all of it, especially when I think about all the extra-curriculars my siblings and I did. I have also noticed that Ezra is going on more play dates with his friends, which means he clamoring less for "Special Time." I guess that just comes with the times. Still, I'm super thankful for the ways time that I have now to spend with each kid individually. Hopefully, they'll remember our Special Times with fondness and know that I saw them each as their own person and loved them best I could. 

Have an excellent day!

~Adam




No comments:

Post a Comment