Monday, January 7, 2013

Urbana!!!

Hello, friends! 

Today, we have a very special guest blogger!  My, wonderful, amazing, wife Meg has been gracious enough to share her Urbana experience.  We hope you enjoy! 



From Meg:

Between December 27th and January 1st, around 16,000 college students flooded the streets of downtown St. Louis for InterVarsity’s missions conference, Urbana. Urbana happens every 3 years and each time we see thousands of students commit their lives to following Jesus into whatever and wherever He calls them. This year students received the “Great Invitation” as they studied the book of Luke and heard Jesus’ call to join him and welcome others into his banquet. Just 6 years ago I attended Urbana as a student.  I remember committing there to follow Jesus into a summer Urban Project that summer in St. Louis. I had no idea that saying yes then would lead to many yeses to follow. 

This Urbana I served as a Bible Study Assistant for bible study in the mornings and then had the honor of serving on the prayer team for the International Student’s Track in the afternoon. There we prayed with students as they received healing for pain from their past and sought God for his plan for their future. Little did I know just how much I still need Jesus to speak to me & heal me.

I love, love, LOVE hospitality and constantly find myself wanting to host and care for people. Yet, there are moments where I feel like if I put myself out there too much I will be taken advantage of.  Sure enough this came up at Urbana. I asked a friend to pray with me about it. God often speaks to me through images. This time as we prayed I had them image of me preparing madly for a banquet. Jesus then came up to me, took my hand and had me turn around to see all of the people at the banquet. They were smiling and enjoying it which made me happy yet I longed to join the banquet myself. I saw Jesus invite me over to the table to sit down with him at the banquet table. I felt joy and peace knowing that I too am invited to participate in the banquet of God. God is the one that has already prepared the best banquet – communion where we remember that he has done it all – offering his body broken for us and his blood, poured out in our place.

When I thought more about it, this image applies to all areas of life – as a wife, staff worker, friend, family member. I am not just invited to serve but I am also invited to join the feast. With this image in mind I believe God is freeing me up to more fully enjoy life with him and inviting others to join in his feast. I am excited to see how God uses this image to shape my life as a wife and as we do ministry together this semester.

Please Pray for:
-        - Adam and me to continually join the Lord at His banquet table as we seek to invite others to be a part of it.
-        -  For new Students arriving in the next few weeks. Please pray for God to connect us with new international students who are ready to join God’s mission on campus.
-        -  For Adam and me to grow in our love of the Lord and for one another as we grow more in our marriage.

Have an excellent day!  

~Adam (and Meg)

No comments:

Post a Comment