Saturday, December 22, 2012

See you in Saint Louis!

Hello, friends! 

In just 5 days, 18,000 students from all over the world will be converging upon the great city of Saint Louis for the Urbana global missions conference.  This conference is put on by InterVarsity in conjunction with the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students, to which InterVarsity is a sister member.  From December 27-31, these students will be studying the book of Luke, hearing from great speakers, worshipping together, and learning about God's heart for global missions as well as hopefully hearing from God about where He is leading them.  It promises to be an amazing time. 

This year, I will have 3 jobs for Urbana (I promise, it isn't as bad as it sounds).  I will be working registration on the 26th and 27th, "on call" (read, doing whatever needs to be done) on the 29th and 31st, and taking care of the Mizzou students.  I am looking forward to helping out wherever I can as well as spending time with Meg as she works with the International Student track. 

Last Urbana, in 2009 (Urbana is held every 3 years), I was part of the prayer ministry team.  For 5 hours a day I was praying with and for students, dealing with everything from depression to romantic issues to questions about people's futures.  It was a time of great healing and hearing from Jesus but it was also absolutely exhausting. 

My first Urbana was in 2006 as a Senior in college.  I can honestly say that it was one of the worst weeks of my life.  I was dealing with some relational drama and was feeling the pressure of hosting my entire family as well as a large group of students from my church.  I was not in a place to receive from Jesus so when He came, I was a hot mess. 

What does all this mean?  It means that I really don't know what to expect this year.  I know that God is going to speak to the students but I don't know how.  I know that the Spirit is going to move but I don't know where.  I know that lives are going to be changed but I don't know in what way. 

Prayer Points:
- Pray that God will speak to the 18,000+ students there, especially the 14 Mizzou students and 6 UMSL International Friends students.
- Pray for Meg, me, and the rest of us staff as we put on this massive undertaking.  Pray that God will give us rest and direction as we lead students. 

If you'd like to give to scholarships for Urbana, there's still time!  You can use this link.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment