Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Of Relationships...

Hello, friends!

There is one compliment that analysts give to athletes in team sports that, in my opinion, is the highest compliment that one can give.  "He makes those around him better."  Whether it be a quarterback who puts the ball in just the right place so his receiver can make a play, a basketball player who spreads the floor so his teammates can have more open looks, or a catcher who gives confidence to his pitchers and controls the running game, a player who makes those around him (or her) better may not be the star but is invaluable to the success of the team.

I've been thinking about relationships a lot lately.  Not just of the romantic nature but of all types, from brother and sister to friend and friend to all points in between those.  As I started to think about the relationships that are around me, that phrase, "He makes those around him better" kept coming to mind.  In many ways, I think that this is the paradigm that Jesus asks us to follow when we enter into relationship with people.

When I think about it, there are two questions that come to mind.  The first is "Should I be in relationship with this person?"  The second is "What should the nature of our relationship be?"'

Should I be in this relationship with this person?  Well, that depends on your answer to this question: Does this person draw you closer to Jesus or take you further away from Him?  Hear what I am not saying.  I am not saying that Christians should only hang around with other Christians.  I am saying that those who follow Jesus should be legitimately asking ourselves the question as to whether or not the people who are around us make us love Jesus more or less.  If they are, then rock on.  If they aren't, then maybe that isn't the best place for you to be.

Let me give an example.  I have a friend who I've known for 6+ years now.  When we met, he wasn't a Christian but he was one who drew me closer to Jesus.  How?  My heart broke so much for my friend that I started praying more, for him and then for others I knew who didn't know Jesus.  I studied the Word more so I could talk to him about his faith and tie it into the Bible.  When he made the decision to follow Jesus, I almost cried and thanked God for his grace.  If someone asked me whether or not being friends with my friend drew me closer to Jesus, the answer would be an emphatic "Yes!"

Answering the second question is similar to the first.  "What should the nature of our relationship be?"  To me, the answer is simple.  Our number one goal should be to bring everyone, EVERYONE, closer to Jesus.  Boyfriend, brother, roommate, whatever.  Each and every one of your interactions should point them to Jesus.

Now, I am not saying that you have to be that guy or gal who tries to turn everything into a deep spiritual conversation and eventually no longer gets invited to social gatherings.  I've been that guy; it isn't fun.  =0).

Going back to my friend, I did a bible study with him for a while and invited him to church a few times but that wasn't what got him interested in Jesus.  It was how calm I was when things went poorly and how I attributed that peace to Jesus.  It was asking if we could pray before meals.  It was offering to be a designated driver and making sure folk got home safely.  It was trying to genuinely love his friends who were hostile to Christians.  It was playing football with guys and not cussing up a storm.  These were things that were showing him life with Jesus.  It was a mix of the explicit and the implicit but it was an intentional effort to show him, as well as those around me, Jesus.

So, what does this have to do with anything InterVarsity related?  In many ways, these are nothing more than the reflections of a 27-year-old married guy in Saint Louis.  But, I think that on another level, if this is the sort of thing that I can teach college students, we would see a mighty different campus and a mighty different world.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment