Friday, December 7, 2012

Waiting...

Hello, friends! 

On Wednesday was our last Large Group of the semester.  I had the pleasure of teaching although it was a little stressful because I wasn't told that I needed to teach until Tuesday afternoon.  To be honest, I offered to do it but it was because students are in that mode right now where asking them to do anything beyond breathe and study makes them give you this look like you shot their cat.  But anyway, I digress. 

It is the Advent season, which means it is a time of waiting and preparation.  As I was thinking about what I wanted to teach, what kept coming back to me was the idea that oftentimes we are waiting and preparing for the wrong thing. 

Right now students are waiting and preparing for finals and final grades for the semester.  There is nothing wrong with studying, in fact, I wish I had done more of it when I was a college student, but here's the problem.  Usually what we are preparing and waiting for is something that is temporary.  Grades only last until the next test.  Finals come back next semester.  We spend all of our time preparing and waiting and stressing and anticipating and losing sleep over stuff that does not satisfy and ulitmately doesn't matter a ton in the grand scheme of things. 

What if we focused on preparing for the eternal instead?  What if we spent less of our energy focused on grades and the temorary and more time focused on Jesus and what is eternal?  I can't guarantee that we'll end up with all of our current dreams realized but I'll bet that we would end up with bigger and better dreams because they would be Jesus' dreams for us. 

Anyway, to all the college students out there, blessings on finals.  Remember that grades are not the end of the world and that above all, you should be pursuing Jesus. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment