Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Adios, OBC...

Hello, friends!

When we first moved here to Omaha in 2018, I knew that I needed to find my rhythms as quickly as possible for this to feel like home. I needed to know which restaurants I liked, how to get to places, and how to structure my day. My search for spicy beef noodle soup was a huge disappointment (although that may have changed recently since a new restaurant opened up in town!) but there was one spot that I found early that warmed my heart... Omaha Bicycle Company.

Friends of the blog know that I love biking. It's not only good for you but it's an efficient mode of transportation and good for the environment. As an aspiring tree-hugger and an efficiency addict, bikes are kind of my jam.

People who do a lot of work from home (or at least don't work in an office) also know that sometimes it's good to get out of the house. I heard in a podcast once that the 3 biggest threats to productivity when it comes to working from home are the TV, the fridge, and the bed. Truer words were never spoken.

Given that most of my new job was going to be video calls and not working directly with students on campus, it was important for me to find somewhere where I could get work done, have my video calls, and not be tempted to nap all the time. Preferably, I wanted it to close enough so I could bike too, thus easing my conscience about being too weak to work from home without being tempted by my pillow. Omaha Bicycle Company, or OBC as it is affectionately called, checked all the boxes and then some.

Sarah started OBC because she loved bikes and loved coffee. Located a little less than a mile and half from our house, it takes the same time to bike there as it did to get to the downtown coffee shops when we lived in CoMO. It's a coffee shop but it is also a bike shop. Not only can I get a really good hibiscus tea and make get work done, but I can also look at all the fancy bikes and accessories on my breaks. I bought my new bike from OBC. I've gotten air in my tires and a little bit of work done on my old bike there while I was working. The crew there knew me and let me go behind the counter to fill up my water bottle so I didn't have to wait in line. They played classic rock and 90's alternative music through the sound system (among other things) so I was always rocking out while working. OBC, in many ways, was the perfect spot for me. 

But alas, all good things must come to an end. Sarah has been having some health issues and owning a small business just wasn't good for her recovery. Health comes first so I totally understand but it still hurts. OBC will be closing its doors for good on Saturday. I've already bought some more gear and I'll be able to go in for one last hibiscus tea before saying goodbye. Then it will be onward to finding a new spot and a new rhythm. It will be weird seeing the empty windows for a while and it'll be even weirder when a new business takes over the space. But, I'll be biking by it, so things will go pretty quickly.

To Sarah, Austin, Evelyn, Tatum, and even Jim and Maddy who worked there before.  Blessings as you heal, teach, farm, and pursue your next adventures. Thank you so much for helping me make Omaha feel like home.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment