Monday, January 1, 2018

Best... Soup... Ever...

Hello, friends!

I present to you, the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup of Seasoning 63, in Columbia, Missouri. This is also known as the best spicy beef noodle soup I have ever had, and possibly one of the 5 things I will miss the most when we move.

My roommate Dr. Moon first introduced this soup to me when Seasoning 63 was called Jingo's and it was located on Broadway downtown. I don't remember the context of what we were doing there. I just remember that I had one bite and I knew that this was something amazing. The recipe (along with the name and location of the restaurant) has changed a bit over these 10+ years, but the goodness is still the same. Let me break it down for you.

Bok Choy: Bok choy is perfect for soup because it absorbs the flavor of whatever you put it in. In this case, it is a delicious broth (more on that later). Every bite of vegetable is like a little appetizer for the soup, knowing that there's some goodness coming later.

Meat: There are two versions of this soup. The American version uses the same beef cut that Jingo's/Seasoning 63 uses for its other beef dishes (like beef and broccoli, Mongolian beef, etc.). However, if you get the Chinese (read: good) version, you are also treated to more tender cuts of beef (with the fat still on) and TRIPE. Man, I love me some tripe.

Noodles: You can't see the noodles in this photo but they're there. They're there and they are delicious. I don't know what they do to the noodles. I'm pretty sure they're pre-made. Man, those are some tasty, tasty noodles.

Fried Egg: I always eat the eggs last because it's a special little treat before getting to the broth. Like the bok choy, the egg soaks up the broth beautifully, meaning every extra second that egg is in there is an extra second of deliciousness. What I love about eating that egg though is how the yolk is always just a little bit runny. It's not so runny that it falls apart on you though. It's perfect so that if you stick the whole yolk in your mouth, there's a little bust of flavor that makes my day.

Broth: I once took my dad to try out the soup. Meg and Ezra came along with us. Meg had to go run an errand so it was just the 3 men. Ezra loves soup so he wanted a sip. I told him it was going to be spicy but he wanted to try it anyway so I gave him a spoonful. He scrunched up his face and said, "SPICY!" I told him that water would help so he grabbed his water cup and took a long swig. Then, he put his hands together in a tapping motion, the sign language for "more." I gave him another spoonful and the process repeated itself. Eventually, I filled a small bowl with some broth and he proceeded to repeat sip, "spicy!", chug, "more" until the entire bowl was empty. I'd never been so proud of my son.

A few weeks back, I told the owner that I was going to be moving. She said, "Oh, I guess you're the last one then, yeah?" Apparently, my friends and I have been coming here for a while. =0).

I actually won't be the last one to move. Charis has been a part of our Jingo's/Seasoning 63 crew and she'll still be around. But they'll be losing my business. So, friends, would you do me a favor and head over to Seasoning 63? Keep the place running so when I come back and visit I'll still have some delicious soup available to me. It's on Old 63, across from the Reserve and next to the Pickleman's. Get the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup and think of me.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment