Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finishing Strong...

Hello, friends! 

In just a few short weeks, another semester will come to a close.  It seemed like just yesterday we were getting ourselves ready for Re:Center with aspirations of a great semester ahead on all accounts.  Now, a lit bit defeated and a lot more tired, we find ourselves getting ready for Catalyst.  Another semester has come and another semester has gone.  Time flies when we're having fun, doesn't it? 

At our Leaders Meeting a few weeks back, we talked about "finishing strong."  It seems like that is always the goal of every student (and staff) right about this time of year.  The only thing that everyone wants to do is to finish strong.

Honestly, that phrase bothers me a little bit.  It bothers me because it implies that things have not been going well.  In honesty, if we look back at the past semester, I'll bet we could identify literally hundreds of ways that God has shown His goodness to us.  When we say we want to finish strong, I can't help but think that what we really mean is, "This semester has not gone how I have wanted it but if I can get a few things that I want then I will be able to look back and not totally hate the past 4 months." 

Which brings me to another thing that bothers me about "finishing strong."  What does it even mean?  Most of the time, when we say that, students and staff alike, we don't actually have any sort of measure as to how to finish strong.  Is there a certain measure that = strong?  Does one have to do x number of things in order for a finish to be strong?  Does the finish mean the last week?  The last 2 weeks?  Anything past Spring Break?  I wonder if we say that we want to finish strong without any tangible goals in mind so that we can tell ourselves that we did it, regardless of what happens. 

Looking at the weeks ahead, this is what I want.  I want at least 1 more student to make a decision to follow Jesus.  I want each of our student leaders to identify someone who they want to invest in next year.  I want hang out with each of our Seniors, one last time.  I want ACF to recruit 25 folk to go to either Catalyst or International Getaway.  I want to take my wife out on a hot air balloon ride.  That is my finishing strong.  What's yours? 

~Adam 

No comments:

Post a Comment