Thursday, May 3, 2012

So Long, Seniors...

Hello, friends! 
Last night was the last Large Group of the year, which meant it was time for Senior Sendoff.  This year we had 4 amazing Seniors who ended their ACF careers.  Each one was unique, each one was special, and each one was a blessing to the ACF community as a whole. 
                          Bianca was out of town last night, but we made sure she made the photo! 
One of the things that I have noticed in working with ethnic-specific ministries for the past few years is that there is always one student who does not match the ethnicity of the group, but still wows you with their leadership, commitment to Jesus, and how seamlessly they become part of the family.  Julie Zykan was the first ACFer to fit that mold, and Bianca was the second.  Even though she was not Asian America, "BB" still led a small group, went to conferences and urban projects, and kept showing up to stuff, ready to have fun and drop truth bombs when needed.  As someone who has worked this past year to cross cultures for the sake of the Gospel, I am always inspired by those who I see do it so well.  Bianca was one of those gals. 

Benji and I actually first met when he was in high school.  When I decided that I was going to be moving to Columbia to start ACF, Benji, who was going to be a Freshman.  Since then, he has brought a sense of fun and a sense of reality to ACF.  Although they were not always easy, I will always remember the conversations that Benji and I had over the years about God and how to follow Him in a way that is real and authentic.  That is one thing that I can say about Benji.  He never faked it. 

Asha, simply put, is an all-star.  She very quickly became ACF's resident Master Chef and taught me so much about how to stretch a dollar in order to feed the masses.  I'm fairly certain that if she was given 5 loaves and 2 fishes, she may not have been able to feed the five-thousand like Jesus, but at least a few hundred would have had a good meal.  =0).  My first few years, when we were a much smaller group, one thing I could count on was spending an hour or two with Asha ever Wednesday night cooking together for Large Group.  She also led a small group with Bianca and was a regular to ACF pretty much from the beginning. 

Then there is Barbara.  Barbara is the one person I have probably worked the closest with these past years.  Her Freshman Year she went to Catalyst and learned how to do manuscript bible study.  She loved it and a Large Group coordinator was born.  When Will and I were trying to decide who would be investing in which of the leaders this year, I knew that I wanted to do Large Group with Barbara.  Over that time, Barb and I have planned a lot of Large Groups, but I have also seen her grow as a leader, as a follower of Jesus, and as a person.  I am nowhere near being a father quite yet, but Barb was sort of like an ACF daughter to me.  =0). 

So, here is to you, ACF class of 2012.  Friends, I hope that you will join with me in praying for these 4 ALUMNI, that God will continue to show Himself to them and that they will know His love and the love of the fellowship regardless of where life takes them. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

1 comment: