Thursday, January 19, 2012

How low (key) can you go?

Hello, friends! 
A funny thing happened the other day in the land of ACF that I would like to share with you all.  I think it's a great statement of how God is already doing some amazing things in ACF. 

We normally have our first Large Group the second week of school.  We like to give students a week off to get used to the semester.  This usually means that the first week of school we are meeting with students and doing some planning, but not a ton of heavy lifting. 

My staff partner for ACF, Will, had a great idea.  Why don't we do a "low key event" to get people to back into the swing of being in community with one another.  Danny is our best gatherer, so we figured getting him involved in a Steak N Shake run could be a good start.  We asked Danny about it and he was all for it. 

I hadn't heard anything else about our "low key event," for a few days, so I texted Danny a few hours before we were supposed to meet to see what was going on.  The text conversation went like this:

Me: Danny, how many are coming tonight?  Best guess? 

Danny: .. I'm really bad at low key.... Its around 20....

Me: Haha.  You're awesome.  Low key means low prep, not low attendance.  =0).  20 is great!

Danny: Haha oh right... In that case, wahoo!

(End Scene)

Here's how things finished.  We show up to Steak N Shake and a group of students are already there.  By the time all things are said and done, THIRTY-TWO STUDENTS joined us for our "low key event."  To put things into context, that's about 50% larger than our average large group last semester. 

The truth is that God has already started to do some big things and I believe that last night was just a taste.  I looked around the room while people were eating and I saw fellowship, real fellowship, happening.  Students were laughing with each other.  Some were deep in conversation.  Others were encouraging one another and talking about how God moved in their lives over break.  It was a beautiful sight, to say the least. 

A few points for prayer:
- We will be having our pre-semester retreat Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon.  This will include all of last year's leaders as well as 2 new leaders!  Praise Jesus!  Please pray that God will give us a word for the students. 
- Sunday I will be leading worship for our state-wide evangelism training.  It has been a while since I last led worship so I am a little apprehensive.  Please pray for peace for me as I lead and that God will smile down on us as we sing his praises. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment