I'm now about 6 weeks out from Sabbatical and starting actually feel like I understand how to work again. Having the kids back in school now definitely helps with that feeling. Still, there are a whole bunch of things on my todo list from Sabbatical that I need to catch up on.
Two of the things that I had to follow up on were some random follow ups. InterVarsity is a missions organization with a national presence, so every now and then, we'll get random contacts from folk who fill out contact cards. I also had an old contact card from someone who we used to go to church with.
Usually, these cards don't come to anything. Cold contacts is hard work and the success rate isn't very high. Added to that, both these contacts were for a local community college. When I took the job of Area Director, I felt really strongly that the best strategy for Nebraska was going to be to have a flagship campus. I want to spend the next few years really investing in UNO, which means that I can't say "yes" to everything or invest a lot of energy in something that may or may not happen.
So, the plan was simple: I'll send a few text messages, give it a few days, and if there was no response (which was likely), then I'd be on my way after giving it a good effort.
What I didn't expect was for these students to be hungry for Jesus, looking for community, and committed to making this thing happen.
My first message was to M, the contact card. One of my coworkers had already reached out to him earlier in the semester while I was on Sabbatical and got no response. For some reason, he decided to respond to me. He was part of InterVarsity when he was living in California and just recently moved to Omaha. He was looking for community and ready to go.
Next was a message to A. We'd had some interactions at church and she was a sweet gal but seemed pretty shy and introverted. I definitely was NOT expecting her to agree to a phone call and then hop in right away to starting a bible study on campus. She even made us a flyer!
Usually, these cards don't come to anything. Cold contacts is hard work and the success rate isn't very high. Added to that, both these contacts were for a local community college. When I took the job of Area Director, I felt really strongly that the best strategy for Nebraska was going to be to have a flagship campus. I want to spend the next few years really investing in UNO, which means that I can't say "yes" to everything or invest a lot of energy in something that may or may not happen.
So, the plan was simple: I'll send a few text messages, give it a few days, and if there was no response (which was likely), then I'd be on my way after giving it a good effort.
What I didn't expect was for these students to be hungry for Jesus, looking for community, and committed to making this thing happen.
My first message was to M, the contact card. One of my coworkers had already reached out to him earlier in the semester while I was on Sabbatical and got no response. For some reason, he decided to respond to me. He was part of InterVarsity when he was living in California and just recently moved to Omaha. He was looking for community and ready to go.
Next was a message to A. We'd had some interactions at church and she was a sweet gal but seemed pretty shy and introverted. I definitely was NOT expecting her to agree to a phone call and then hop in right away to starting a bible study on campus. She even made us a flyer!
Added to that, one of our baby sitters and her sister are both starting at the same school this semester and they're both interested in joining too. Suddenly, what was once a longshot is now a bible study! =0).
Friends, please be praying for Metro Community College in Omaha. It looks like we're starting a group on campus, which is great! Please pray for a good time in the word and that the students there will find Jesus and community there.
Have an excellent day!
~Adam
Friends, please be praying for Metro Community College in Omaha. It looks like we're starting a group on campus, which is great! Please pray for a good time in the word and that the students there will find Jesus and community there.
Have an excellent day!
~Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment