Friday, February 12, 2021

Making Lemonade (but not yellow snow...)

Hello, friends! 

First of all, a new episode of Story Central dropped yesterday. I interviewed Kathy Padilla, volunteer and IV alum living here in Omaha. It was a great interview and I hope you enjoy it! 

Second, I'll be preaching for my church, Bridge Omaha on Sunday @ 10am Central. If you'd like to see me preach, the service will be streamed live and the replay will be on demand on YouTube. Just search "Bridge Omaha" and you should find it. 

Third, HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR! 

Y'all, when we moved to Omaha 3 years ago, one of the things that was new for me was the weather. In many ways, the weather is very similar to what we left in CoMO. Temperatures have a tendency to fluctuate, and you're still dealing with snow, ice, rain, and tornados but not really concerned about wildfires or earthquakes. The biggest difference is that it's usually just about 5-7 degrees colder here than a big further south in CoMO, which means the biggest adjustment is that instead of dealing with ice, we have to deal with accumulation. 

When we were living in Missouri, if we got snow on the ground, it wouldn't last very long. A few days later it'd be a high of 37 and the snow would melt. Then, the overnight low would drop into the 20's and we'd wake up to ice everywhere. It was terrible. 

Up here, after a snow, there are more days when the the high will be 31 or 32, which is right at freezing, meaning the snow doesn't melt. On the plus side, this means no ice. On the down side, this means the snow doesn't leave until April. 

Now, if you had snow accumulating, and you knew it wasn't going anywhere for a while, what would you do? We all know the right answer. You'd build an igloo. 



These, are the igloos that are now in our yards. These first photos are from the front yard. I also build a bobsled ramp in another part of the yard, which is this video.

 In the back yard, I opted for building the bobsled ramp on the SIDE of the igloo, with hopes that eventually, I'll be able to whip the track around the playset to make a full loop. 

Megan likes to joke that she's not sure who has more fun with these, the kids or me. I absolutely know that I enjoy building these a ton, and I know the kids love playing in them, so I'm OK with the answer being a tie. At some point, the sun will stay out, the temps will stay up, and all this will go away. But for at least the next month or so, we're going to have some pretty great snow structures at our place. 

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment