Thursday, January 16, 2020

35 is the new... well, it's still 35, right?

Hello, friends!

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes! I'm not one who likes to do a lot of celebrating or things like that, so we didn't plan anything big for this birthday. Also, with 3 kids now, planning anything is a little tough. Still, it was honestly a really enjoyable birthday! Here are a few reasons why:

- Good date! My birthday fell on a Tuesday this year, meaning the older kids were in daycare. That gave Meg and me the freedom to go on a lunch date (with Jonah), which was tons of fun. We had a coupon for Longhorn Steakhouse, so that was our spot. Daytime dates with Megan are always a blast, and having Jonah there smiling was pretty great too.

- Good food! Speaking of lunch, I ate really well on my birthday. There was the steak I had at lunch (that included a birthday sundae!), my free birthday Starbucks drink, Megan made spicy beef noodle soup (my favorite food and she makes the best one in Omaha), and we all went out as a family for ice cream. Did I need to repent for gluttony? Yes. Do I regret any part of my meal? No way! 

- Good gifts! I'm not really a gift giving or gift receiving kind of person. What I like best are things that are functional and help me be more efficient at life. The gifts I got this year were pretty great. Ezra drew me some pictures and got me a telescope (really, it's an empty toilet paper roll, but it's the thought that counts), Megan (and I'm assuming Thaliea and Jonah went in on this gift too), got me some new pants and shoes from Goodwill, my mother-in-law got me an air-fryer, and I even got a gift card to my favorite Reuben spot in Omaha. I've already worn some of the clothes, cooked with the air-fryer, and used the telescope. =0).

- Good work! I had a lot of meetings on Tuesday, mostly of the back to back to back variety. During one break, I realized just how much I really love my job. I've been in this role for about a year and a half and I was struck by how much it doesn't actually feel like work. I get to talk to people all day about MPD and help shape culture in the Region around something I care about a lot. There's an old adage that you "find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life." I've definitely worked some days, but I'm glad that the job suits me well.

I am now officially closer to 40 than I am to 30, which is a fun thought for me. My hope every year is that I can double my current age, so hopefully, I have at least 35 more years of life to go. But, even if it's fewer, this birthday was a pretty great one.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam




No comments:

Post a Comment