Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Beautiful Inefficiency

Hello, friends!

Many of you who know me know that I love efficiency. It's one of my favorite things in the world. I love looking at a situation, a problem, a gadget, or whatever and asking myself, "How can I make that run better?" There's probably a bit of pride in there (read: there's DEFINITELY pride in there) but I really do believe that I have a special knack for looking at things and boiling them down to the basics, in order to make it the most efficient situation.

Here's something I've learned: If you want to be efficient at doing your administrative work (writing reports, responding to emails, preparing bible studies, supervision, etc.) as a campus missionary, do NOT work from home with a newborn.

Right now, Ezra is the antithesis of efficiency. He poops whenever he wants, usually right after he just had his diaper changed. He goes through onesie after onsie because he spits up after eating... then spits up again. He'll cry like a banshee for what seems like an eternity, only to be consoled after he's picked up because he had a gas bubble and didn't know how to burp while laying on his back. Seriously, raising RaRa, or any human, is strong evidence for the creation theory: how could anything EVOLVE into being that useless?! =0).

BUT, here's the thing: He's the only person in the world who could make me LOVE inefficiency as much as I do right now. I love changing his diaper, putting a new onesie on him, then rocking him to sleep. Emails are nothing compared to picking up my son and helping him pass gas. I will put any and all work on hold if it means that I get a chance to hold him and see if he'll smile. Work can wait because fatherhood is calling!

A few weeks ago, I tried doing some work on campus and actually, it was really efficient. Just like before RaRa was born, I biked to campus, popped in my headphones, went to the computer lab, and just kept typing, planning, and working until everything was done. In fact, it was probably even MORE efficient than before he was born. But that was because I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. Apparently I missed the little guy.

Of course, there will be errands to be run. I'll be heading to Jefferson City once a week on campus visits, meaning I'll be away for 10-12 hours at a time. I had a staff meeting a last week in St. Louis and I survived it ok. I'm not going to be able to spend 24/7 with the little guy and I know that. Still, there's something to be said for embracing the inefficiency and spending a little more time snuggling with my boy.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment