Sunday, October 28, 2012

Freedom in Service

Hello, friends! 

This weekend I had the pleasure of helping Meg and the rest of the Missouri International Student Ministry staff put on their Fall Retreat.  There will be an update about Fall Retreat coming a little later but I wanted to share a little about something that struck me while I was there. 

My role this weekend was pretty much to be a jack of all trades.  My official title was tech guy but I also helped with a number of things from snacks to photos to logistics to games.  Pretty much, wherever help was needed, I would do what I could to help. 

I got back this morning after driving the speaker to the airport (another job) and had a little time to reflect on my job(s).  The conclusion was that I really liked my role at Fall Retreat.  There was something really freeing about just doing what I was asked to do and not being asked to make any decisions.  I knew that I was making an impact but at the same time I also knew that it wasn't me who was really the one responsible.  While it meant that I couldn't take all the credit, it also meant that I was free from worrying about whether or not what I was doing was right. 

The thought that came to mind was whether or not that was an ok feeling to have.  Is it ok to feel free and enjoy not having responsibility?  Does it mean that I am lazy or irresponsible?  As I thought about it more, the more I came to see that this is actually EXACTLY how we are supposed to live life. 

Hear me out.  What if we went through life just doing what Jesus told us to do and didn't worry about if the things we were doing were the right things because we trusted the one who gave us the directions?  Wouldn't we be more free to love sacrificially, take risks, and talk openly about all the cool things that Jesus has done in our lives?  It seems to me like living with the freedom of knowing that our decisions are not our own is a pretty sweet way to live. 

Of course, it isn't quite that simple.  I am definitely NOT advocating doing what we want and then saying that it was God who made us do it.  That would be irresponsible and a misudentstanding of God's soverignty.  What comes first is us actually listening to Jesus' voice and knowing what He is asking us to do.  THEN comes us doing it free from worry or anxiety. 

It sounds like a pretty sweet way to live.  Join me in trying to live this life, won't you?  =0). 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment