Friday, January 27, 2023

Goodbye, Old Friends!

Hello, friends! 

This past week, I had to say goodbye to 2 friends who have been very dear to me... 

Our rice cooker and my e-bike... 

Our 10-cup rice cooker, which we received as a wedding gift 10+ years ago, finally stopped working. It wouldn't turn on unless you wiggled the cord just right. Friends, I have no problem telling you that we definitely ran that thing into the ground. Just for our family, we probably made rice between 2-3 times per week. Add in the times we cooked large batches for dinner functions, and the pots and pots of jook we made, we probably used that thing around 1700 times or so. It lived a good life, indeed. 

I had my e-bike for a considerably shorter time. I bought it in June 2021 as a proof of concept. I wanted to see if it was possible to get around all the places I needed to go with just an e-bike and public transportation. The answer was mostly yes (albeit the winters in Omaha made things tough). The one thing about the bike was that since I bought a cheap-o bike just in case things didn't work out, it wasn't exactly a ton of fun to ride. I missed riding on my non-e-bike, so I sold my e-bike and bought a conversion kit to turn my regular bike into a e-bike. I'm looking forward to a more pleasant riding experience, as well as a little less clutter in the garage (since we'll only have one of my bikes in there instead of two. 

We now have a new rice cooker (we cooked its first batch yesterday and it turned out just fine!) and my e-bike conversion kit will be delivered soon. Our old stuff served us well but now it's time to move on. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam 

No comments:

Post a Comment