Wednesday, January 12, 2022

A Word for 37!

Hello, friends! 

On Friday, I turn the ripe old age of 37! I haven't decided yet if 37 is officially my late 30's or if I still have one more year in my mid-30's. Either way, I'm excited to have made it another year! 

Every year, somewhere around this time, I pick a word or theme for the year. Since the New Year, my birthday, and the Lunar New Year are all close together, my deadline is a little fluid. Some years, it takes all the way until early February for me to decide on a word for the next almost 12 months. 

This year, I actually had my word come in pretty early. I don't know if it was in November or December, but I knew that it was going to be my word for the next year. Drumroll please...

"Everything is Worship"

Why this word/phrase? There are a few good reasons. I think this phrase continues my theme of trying to be more intentional in my life. Last year the word was "balance" which was me trying to be more intentional in how I spend my time. "Everything is Worship" is a continuation of that theme. I want to make sure that I'm intentionally thinking about everything that I'm doing. How I treat my body is worship, which will hopefully include completing some more triathlons and getting better at curling. How I interact with my kids and my wife is worship. How I do my work with InterVarsity is worship. I want to be more intentional about seeing the things I'm doing as worship. 

Another reason is because I want to remember that the things I'm doing are worshipping SOMETHING, even if I don't think of it that way. The pandemic (and the Enneagram) has helped me realize that when I'm stressed, I turn to escapism like videogames and snacking. I want to see those things as they are; the worship of pleasure and comfort. When I see things that way, it's a little easier to put down the fries (even though they are so delicious!).

So, here's to another great year, hopefully one full of intentional worship. And, here's to (at least) 37 more years! =0). 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment