Sunday, November 1, 2015

How My Hat Cost InterVarsity $650...

Hello, friends!

I wrote in my post of the play-by-play for Wednesday that the students at the Black Culture Center (BCC) were being very vigilant and skeptical of non-Blacks wanting to enter the building. There had been threats of violence made against Black students so this made perfect sense to me. Still, knowing that I was one of the few campus ministers of color on Mizzou's campus, Meg and I agreed that it was worth it for me to try and be there for students.

When I walked up to the door, I was met with skeptical looks, which I was expecting. I introduced myself as "Pastor Adam" and said that I just wanted to check in and see if there was anything that I could do to help or support students. I also told them that I knew Ms. Velma, one of the head administrators for the BCC, and that the guards could get her and I'd be more than happy to talk to her first. I also offered to leave my bag outside the doors to be extra safe.

This seemed to build enough trust to get me in the building but I still needed permission to stay there. One of the students got Ms. Velma and I re-introduced myself.

"Hi, Ms. Velma, I'm Pastor Adam with InterVarsity Christian Fellowships."

"Hm, I don't know that I remember you."

"We've met a few times before. I'm just here seeing if there are ways that I can help."

"... You know what? We have met before. I recognize the hat. Come on in."

Apparently, I'm the campus missionary who wears a hat. =0).

My favorite part about this story is that it was something as simple as me wearing a hat that led to a whole host of other opportunities.

The hat got me permission to stay in the BCC
Permission to stay in the BCC got me access to students
Access to students allowed me ask them about their needs
Asking about their needs led to us buying a lot of food (about $650 for lunch and dinner)
Buying lots of food led to trust being built
Trust being built led to more opportunities for conversations and prayer with students

Friends, at this point, I should say a HUGE thank you to all of our ministry partners who partner with us financially. You are the ones who give us the resources to do things like this so we can bless students better and point them towards Jesus. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

BACK HOME

1 comment:

  1. Adam,
    Sat at your table at the Justice in Funding Mission Conference. Just read this footnote to the numerous stories emanating from Columbia. Look forward to reading more from your team and IV. Grateful for (all of) your presence, witness, and wisdom on campus.
    Peace in the Struggle,
    Bret
    P.S. Tell Nate Buxman hello.

    ReplyDelete