Sunday, November 1, 2015

Finding Your Niche in Activism...

Hello, friends!

I was talking to a coworker of mind the other day about what's been happening in Columbia and he asked me a question:

"If the Asian American Association (AAA) at Mizzou came up to you and asked you how they should engage in supporting the Black community, what would you tell them?"

My answer was simple: "Do what you have been created to do."

I think that one of the problems that Asian Americans have when it comes to activism is that we believe that activism looks a certain way and that we aren't made in that image. When we think of activism, we often think of yelling, holding signs, marching, and generally being on the front lines (Note: I would argue that most people think this way). The problem is that for many Asian Americans, this isn't us. We've been brought up with a high value for harmony so any disagreement is a bad disagreement. The idea of putting ourselves out there makes us more afraid than anything else.

So, what is an Asian American to do? Well, I say that we do what we've been created to do. While we may not be gifted in the traditional methods of activism, we still have a role to play if we want. You know what we do well? We do hospitality really well. I mean REALLY well. It's how God has made us and we can use that gift for the kingdom.

Let me give you an example. Students created a tent city on campus in an act of solidarity with Jonathan Butler, the student who was on a hunger strike. That is a pretty bold move on everyone's part. As Asian American may not feel like it is his or her place to insert themselves into the tent city. But you know what we CAN do well? We can bring blankets and hot chocolate. We can engage in conversation with those who are there. We can make sure that there is enough light so folk can study and that people have pillows. We can show off our gift of hospitality like the bosses we are.

How does that lead to activism? Well, I think it does a number of things. I think it shows the students who are on the front line that they are not alone. I believe it gives strength so that those students can go for a little longer and a little further. I think it is a comfort for people to know that someone is helping them carry the burdens of LIFE, as well as the cause. I think it builds relationship.

So, to my brothers and sisters who believe that there's something to be done but don't know what it is, I humbly suggest that you pray and ask God this question: What have you created me to do? From there, you may find the answers you seek.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

BACK HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment