Friday, May 1, 2015

McVangelism

Hello, friends!

McVangelism is a term that I coined early in my staff career to explain what I’d learned about working with male non-Christian students: they open up to you a lot more about their lives when they have a burger in the hands. I’m sure there’s some sort of science behind it but I explain it this way: when a guy is relaxed and know that you’ve got his back, he’ll open up a little bit more. What says, “I’m cool and I’ve got you,” better than a burger?! =0).

One of my favorite McVangelism stories is with J. J was dating E, one of our Core students but he wasn’t really into the Christianity thing. I’d only met him a few times but usually it was at the campus McDonald’s. He’d usually be eating a Big Mac and we’d talk about how underrated of a sandwich it was.

E somehow got J to go to Fall Conference and from there, the Holy Spirit hit him like a freight train. I was playing on the worship team and I could see out into the crowd so I knew that J had been hit hart. Before we left to go back to CoMO, I made sure that I set up a meeting with J to talk about what he’d experienced.

Of course, we went to the campus McDonald’s and while eating a Big Mac and fries, he shared with me his Fall Conference experience. It was exactly as I’d seen. He’d felt the presence of God and it scared him because he didn’t think he could handle that kind of emotion all the time. We talked through what it meant to be a Christian, about how it is a process and a daily following. We talked about how that “conference high” was not an everyday thing but that every day he would feel closer and closer to God. Right there, during the lunch rush at the campus McDonald’s, J gave his life to Jesus and he hasn’t looked back ever since.


Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment