Sunday, May 24, 2015

Happy Birthday, Phuzz!

Hello, friends!

Happy Sunday to you all but also happy birthday to my little brother Phil "Phuzz" Leong.

The joke goes that I've know Phuzz for his entire life. He's only been Phuzz to me since he was in kindergarten though, when we both had shaved heads. I was Buzz and he was Phuzz. When I started growing out my hair I couldn't be Buzz anymore but Phuzz has been rocking the same look for over 20 years now. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? =0).

I've found in life when it comes to friends, you have 3 kinds of really good friends. You have those "finish your sentences" kind of friends where you're always on the same wave length. You have the "always in disagreement but always in good fun" friends. And, you have the "Collective IQ drops 50 points because y'all are being ridiculous" friends. In an odd sort of way, Phuzz represents all 3 of those to me.

"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?" Phuzz knows the answer. "(Ralph) can do a somersault!" Phuzz knows why that matters. What song do they play as you float down the River Styx? Phuzz could tell you. It may be mostly Simpsons quotes but when Phuzz and I are in sync, it's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Of course, the funny thing is that we are in disagreement most of the time too. Clippers vs. Spurs. Calvin vs. Aminius. Taylor Swift vs. Kelly Clarkson. Empire Strikes Back vs. Return of the Jedi. These are important topics of conversation that often dominate our time together. We've gotten into many a fight, both verbal and physical. But hey, we wouldn't be brothers if we didn't right?

Then there's the IQ thing. I can't say that we aren't smart guys. I can say that games like Keys, Corkscrew, and Apple, may not be the most intelligent things we've ever done. Driving around the city to collect 11 free Slurpees on 7/11 is either a really good bad idea or a really bad good idea. The jury is still out on that. What I can tell you for sure is that every moment is always interesting.

So, here's to you, Phuzz! Happy birthday. I'll leave with the words I told him right around his 13th birthday: You may end up faster (check), smarter (check), and taller (oops) than me, but I will ALWAYS outweigh you by 30 pounds, so respect. =0).

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment