Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Scouting Lincoln

Hello, friends!

Yesterday I had the pleasure of spending some time at Lincoln University in Jefferson City, MO, home of the Blue Tigers. Just 30 minutes south of CoMO, Lincoln is an hbcu where we are thinking about potentially planting next year. It was a pretty great trip! Here are a few highlights:

- I met with a contact that I'd been given by a friend and it was a really great conversation. She is a professor on campus who very much has a heart for Jesus and said that she would be more than happy to help us get started.
- Every student I talked to told me that I needed to talk to Pastor Howard, who works in the bookstore and apparently is the spiritual advisor for the whole campus. We only spoke briefly but I'm looking forward to more conversations with him to get a feel for the campus.
- Most of the students I talked to were really receptive to the idea of having a Christian group on campus. There appears to be one Christian group on campus and one or two bible studies but there was still the sense that there could be something more.
- Fun fact! The residential population of Lincoln is about 900 students and over 90% ethnic minority students, including about 100 international students. HOWEVER, when you include the commuter students, the percentage of ethnic minority students that makes up the school drops to below 45%. What that means is that we may have a tale of 2 universities.

Friends, please pray for me as I continue to visit, meet students, and scout out the land. Pray that God will give us a really good sense of what he is already doing there and how we can partner with Him.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment