Friday, January 2, 2015

Megan's Thoughts on New Years Resolutions

Hello, friends!

Happy 2015 to you all! Here's praying that 2015 kicks 2014's butt in every possible way. =0).

This is about the time of the year when folk start their New Year's resolutions. Last year, Megan and I decided that we would only buy clothing that was fair trade/ethically made. Here are Megan's thoughts on the year that was. Enjoy!

What happens when you intentionally refrain from buying clothing that wasn’t ethically made for an entire year? I didn’t quite know what to expect when we ventured into this a year ago. Adam and I made the decision to as we were preparing for a trip to another country where last year at this time there were protests from garment factory workers for their payment. Ultimately there wages weren’t raised and they were silenced to keep the peace. It left us with the question though of how we would respond. Before we dig in, I just want to say that I know that this method of advocacy and action isn’t perfect. People still need jobs regardless of how much they are paid. Although the system is completely jacked up and unfair, there is still a high demand for these jobs because there are people who need them. I want to share a few lessons we learned along the way on this journey:

1.     Exposure of idolatry and greed in my heart:
a.       I love Target. No matter what I come in there for my eyes & legs are somehow immediately drawn to the clearance clothing section. It doesn’t matter if I need that new sweater, there is an intense longing to own it. Knowing that Target is rated a D for clothing on the ethical rating (betterworldshopper.com) forced me to check these desires at the dollar section before I made my way over to the clothing. I realized that just because I felt like I wanted something, doesn’t mean I need it or can get it somewhere better.
2.     “I wear your granddad’s clothes, I look incredible” – Thrift Shops are the best
a.       I was already a fan of thrift shops before, but even more this year. I had a friend get married and had a fancy wedding where cocktail attire was required. This was a little harder for me in thinking of where to find something fancy enough for cheap. Luckily in Columbia there are lots of sororities – meaning lots of fancy dresses at the Goodwill. I found a nice dress and got many compliments on it.  I also found my entire winter wardrobe at thrift stores or garage sales. The best part is that no one can tell that these clothes aren’t new. Thrift shops come with an A+ on the ethical rating because they are reusing decent clothing that we cast aside for new things.
3.     People may think you are Crazy
a.       I love shopping just like most girls. It is a bonding thing that I grew up doing. We didn’t always buy stuff, but we had fun window shopping. I found it hard to shop with others because honestly, who likes the shopper that doesn’t want anything and points out how things are made? No one. You end up being Debbie Downer. It was also hard to explain why I wasn’t buying something. I didn’t want to make other people feel guilty for their purchases, yet knew I couldn’t buy it myself. The other reality is that living this way is counter-cultural. We live in a world where what you wear defines who you are. Wearing cloths I wore in college isn’t always in style.
4.     New Cloths are Expensive
a.       About halfway through the year Adam needed new socks and underwear. It was a challenge to find them fairtrade and at a decent price. Sometimes choosing fairtrade means sacrificing something else. There were other instances where I needed to find new clothing and thrift store didn't have what I needed. Instead I found a local store that choses to purchase fairtrade clothes. By God’s grace I was able to find some decent (although not that decently) priced leggings and pants.
5.     God provides abundantly
a.       Before I even knew I needed clothing, people were offering me boxes of clothes out of nowhere. It was such a blessing to see God provide before I even knew I was in need. 
6.     It is worth it
a.       When we went overseas we saw 15-20 people loaded into small trucks to head out to the garment factory. There people get 80-100 dollars per month to work 12 + hours a day in the factory. This isn’t nearly enough to survive in any country. Some even turn to the sex industry in order to make enough money to support their family. Meanwhile companies are charging us $30 for a sweater while all of it goes to the company and not the people making them. We also witnessed local non-profits helping give people a decent wage for the same job. I would love to support these kinds of businesses even if it means more money.

In the end, I don’t know if we will always buy fairtrade. But I do know that our eyes are opened to our own sense of need for stuff as well as what it means to use our money intentionally. I encourage you to consider, is there one thing that you regularly purchase that you can find out how it is manufactured? Consider thinking intentionally about what you purchase for a year. It is sure to change you and those around you.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam 

No comments:

Post a Comment