Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Do You Think I Am Going To Hell?...

Hello, friends! 

The title of this post seems pretty intense, but that was a question that was posed to me Monday night in a bar and grill full of rowdy college students reveling in the misery of hated arch rivals.  Let me back up.

Monday night is not only BCM bible study, but it is also dollar burger night at Bengals Bar and Grill.  One of the things that I love about Columbia is that there are so many great food deals around on a daily basis.  I also love imparting the wisdom I have gleaned from years of research on my students.  Shamari had a great idea of going to grab some dollar burgers after bible study, which I was more than up for!  Even better, she invited some other folk so we could meet more people. 

After spending 10 minutes trying to find a chair to bring to our table, I finally sat down next to a student I had not met before.  We exchanged pleasantries and I continued to talk to Chelsea and Shamari.  I don't know how it came up, but the student who I didn't know asked me about what I do and why I do what I do.  From there, I was able to share with her the vision for BCM, which she whole heartedly agreed with and supported.  She opened up about her past experiences with churches in Columbia and how hard it was to follow Jesus as a college student. 

We only talked for 15 or 20 minutes, but I could tell that Jesus was doing something amazing in her through our conversation.  There were tears, tough questions, thoughtful pauses, and absolutely the Holy Spirit moving.  She signed up for our Thursday bible study and my hope is that she will join our community and follow Jesus with our group. 

Friends, this is why I do what I do.  This is why your prayers and support are so crucial.  There are students on this campus who are lost.  They want to follow Jesus but think that because they fail they are going to hell.  They don't have any community to keep the accountable or encourage them to get back up after they have fallen.  Part of InterVarsity's vision is to see students and faculty transformed.  On Monday night, I was able to see what I hope will be the beginning of that transformation for at least one student. 

Prayer points:
- Please be praying for T, the potential new student.  Pray that God will draw her into community and that she will grow in following Jesus. 
- Catalyst, our spring conference is almost here!  Please pray for our recruitment in both ACF as well as BCM. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment