Monday, September 19, 2011

Prayer is one of those things...

Hello, friends! 

I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but I've been finding that the longer I work in ministry, the more true this statement becomes: I am lost without prayer. 

Prayer is not something that comes easily to me for a number of reasons.  I think that I struggle with viewing it as a passive form of ministry.  The temptation is for me to believe that prayer is what one does before the real work gets started and after the real work gets done. 

The fact is that nothing could be further from the truth.  We are truly hopelessly and utterly lost without prayer.  It is impossible to do the will of God if one does not know what the will of God is.  One cannot know the will of God unless one seeks it out.  Prayer is how we seek out God's will. 

As I grow in my responsibilities on staff and the fellowships grow in number, a sort of absurd irony arises.  On the one hand, I find myself more in need of prayer when there are more things to do.  On the other hand, the temptation to consider prayer passive and to forgo it in order to "get more stuff done" grows as well.  For those to whom prayer comes naturally, this is not a tension at all.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. 

One of the things I have heard many times from older staff is that fellowships tend to take on the personalities of their staff workers.  This seems to be the case so far with ACF.  We are a fun loving group who is highly competitive and a little bit awkward at times.  We love games and we love food.  We are also pretty bad at prayer but we are getting better.  BCM doesn't have a culture yet since we are only a few weeks old, but I am happy to know that already we are starting to develop a dependance on prayer for what we need. 

Join me in prayer friends.  It may seem a little weird, but join me in praying that the Mizzou fellowships and I will become better at prayer.  Please pray that God will grow our dependance on Him so that our first move is always to our knees and not to our planners. 

Have an excellent day

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment