Thursday, March 28, 2019

Bayanihan...

Hello, friends!

In 2019, I've been trying to learn some Mandarin. I've been using an app and am making progress, although I'm still not great with tones. At AAMSC19, I learned a new word in Tagalog, which is one of the languages spoken in the Philippines. That word is "bayanihan."

For some context, the plenary speaker was a Filipino man who's been on staff for I think 8 or 9 years. He's now the National Director for Global Urban Treks and a really spectacular guy. The theme for the night was asking us to re-imagine partnership, which is where "bayanihan" comes into play.


Bayanihan is roughly translated to "being a part of the community." I believe the word "bayani" can be translated to "hero" and "han" means collective, so it's a compound word, meaning everyone is a hero. The word has roots in the Filipino tradition where an entire village will help a family move to a new location by literally picking up the house and moving it. The idea is that everyone in the community has a role to play in the health and well-being of the other members of the community. This, is bayanihan in action: 




When I heard bayanihan described, I immediately thought of how as InterVarsity staff ought to see our MPD and our ministry partners. Do we see them as people who fund our ministries so we can try to drag the house that is our chapter by ourselves? Or, do we see them as partners who take part in the bayanihan of moving to new corners of the campus and new life in the kingdom?

Bayanihan starts with connectedness. We have to believe that our ministry partners, and our coworkers while we're at it, are connected to us beyond transactions and in real relationship. That starts with a posture of gratitude and thanks. 

So, as my ministry partners, whether you partner through giving, advocating, praying, or serving, I want to thank you for showing me bayanihan. I've said before that I wouldn't be on staff if it wasn't for y'all and the love and support you've provided for me. You have literally helped me move my staff home, from St. Louis to CoMO, and now to Omaha. For that, I am eternally grateful. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

Back Home

No comments:

Post a Comment