Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A "Normal" Week

Hello, friends!

We're just about 2 months into being back at work and I think I've finally found a work rhythm that works well for me. It's a huge blessing and one that is definitely needed.

As I've said many times before, I'm a rhythms and structures guy. I function best when I have my gameplan in front of me and things are predictable. Setting a schedule with what I'm going to be doing each day helps me focus and allows me to take on non-structured things better.

There are a lot of moving parts in my job now, which meant there were a lot of pieces that needed to be put in place in order to find my rhythm. I'm coaching 6 staff in their MPD so I needed to work with their schedules. I have supervisory meetings of my own and work with Asian American Ministries. I have small group and Rotary, which are immovable. There are also times when I'm taking care of the kids and taking them to daycare and such. We can't forget Sabbath and church either. There are a lot of moving parts.

But, we've got it figured out for the most part! It's a tight schedule but it gets the job done.

Monday: Sabbath. Thank you, LORD, for the goodness of rest.
Tuesday: Small Group @ 6:30, supervisory meetings from 9-11, lunch with my friend Eric (now we're looking for Omaha's best chicken wings!), and working on Regional and National stuff the rest of the day before cooking dinner.
Wednesday: Admin and MPD work until the Rotary meeting, then a supervisory meeting in the afternoon with more Admin and MPD work sprinkled in there when I have time.
Thursday: Taking the kids to school before diving into more supervisory meetings and again, spending the afternoon on Regional and National initiatives.
Friday: Watching the kids in the morning before working the rest of the day on Admin and spiritual formation.
Saturday and Sunday I'm trying to keep work free to spend time with the family.

It's not a perfect schedule but it gets the job done. Trying to cram 40 hours of work into 4 days instead of 5 makes things a little tougher but it's worth it to have weekends free with my family and a normal Sabbath with Jesus.

So, that's my rhythm. For now anyway. This will be enough to get me through the semester, when new responsibilities and such will arise. I'm thankful that I have a job that offers a certain amount of structure so I can do my best work in rhythm.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment