Sunday, April 2, 2017

More Workers for the Harvest

Hello, friends!

Last night, Mid-MO had its first ever Volunteer Recruitment event. Our staff team invited people that we know that love Jesus to partner with us by donating their time and expertise to joining us in the work that we're doing on campus. We had a student testimony, a panel discussion of current volunteers, and tons of great food. As I was reflecting on our whole process today, I had a few thoughts:

The Calendar Matters: We had a fundraising dinner last year and we put it in June, which was too late in the year because we had a lot of people travelling during that season. This year, we decided that if we were going to do something, it needed to be in April. Because of other calendar conflicts, we chose April 1, which happened to be Spring Break in CoMO, meaning a lot more people couldn't make it because of scheduling. We'll definitely have to be more aware of these things in the future.

The Team Matters: I was telling our team this before the event got started, how excited I was that I actually had no intimate knowledge of the fine details of the event besides my own small portion, and that I was totally excited by that. Everyone did a great job on the team and it was great to see us all working together. Even just a few years ago, an event like that would have probably meant me being in charge of every little aspect. Instead, everyone had a role, everyone did their job, and the night went on without a hitch.

The Vision Matters: My job was just to give a 10-15 minute overview of what InterVarsity is and then do the pitch for folk to consider volunteering with us. As I was putting together my piece, I was reminded of how much God has done already in Mid-MO and yet how much He is still planning on doing. I could have gone in a bunch of different directions for the talk; the hard sales pitch, the "we need you desperately" line, the "this is so much fun" train, or something else. Instead, I felt like God was saying to remember that He was the one doing all this, and to tell the people of His great works, inviting them into that process. We'll see how it worked.

If you're someone who is living in CoMO and are interested in maybe being a part of the work that we're doing, even if just for an hour a week, we'd love to talk to you! You can email me here and we can set up a time to connect.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

Our volunteer staff panel! Hooray for volunteers!

No comments:

Post a Comment