Friday, April 1, 2016

Jesus in the Wind...

Hello, friends!

Good job on choosing well. =0).

In an earlier post, I talked about how we'd found a law passed in Missouri in June of last year made for all outdoor spaces in state universities protected areas and open to the public. We were going to use this as an opportunity to do some evangelistic displays at Lincoln and hopefully meet some students.

The last time we tried doing that at Lincoln, the wind was whipping something awful and we ended up not getting to actually do the display because of the wind. Still, undetered by the fact that we were still within our rights to be on campus, I decided that I would try again this week. Since Mizzou is on spring break this week, I was actually going to go on Wednesday and Thursday. I checked the weather and here's what I found: temperatures in the 60's with a 50% chance of rain and winds between 12-20mph. =0).

Still, we wouldn't be deterred! On Wednesday I set up shop in front of the memorial on campus in the middle of the quad to see what would happen.

Friends, the wind was NOT our friend. Our display was actually 3 panels set up on a PVC stand weighted down with weights. The panels caught the wind like a sail and I spent a good portion of our day chasing panels and picking up the knocked over display. On Thursday the wind was so bad that I didn't even get a chance to set things up before everything started to blow away. We spent 4 hours on campus Wednesday but couldn't get things set up on Thursday.

However, in spite of being wind blown across campus, I was still able to see Jesus move these past few days. Just like last time, there were students who were more than happy to help me chase down things as they were blowing away and that led to a lot of great conversations about Jesus and mission. When the display was up and running we had roughly 50 students come through to hear the Gospel. About  20 of them wrote down prayer requests and 5 students expressed interest in being a part of a Christian community on campus!

The big lesson for me was how important it is to be faithful in the things that God is calling us to do. I knew that the wind was going to be bad on Wednesday and hursday. I had a feeling that things were going to be rough. The easy thing would have been to call it early and not even try but I felt like God was asking me to take a leap of faith and see what would happen. I'm glad I listened.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

PS: As promised, here are those photos of Ezra I promised you, featuring his many cousins. Isn't he adorable?! =0).




No comments:

Post a Comment