Sunday, July 28, 2013

One Week...

Hello, friends! 

Greetings from beautiful Columbia, Missouri, also known as Megan's and my new home!  Just one week ago today we packed up the truck, drove through some storms, and started the next chapter of Team Megan and Adam here in CoMO.  The past few days have been spent unpacking, trying to get a sense of a new rhythm, and hanging out with students.

Still, with everything that is on the horizon, at the moment we aren't feeling overwhelmed in terms of stuff to do.  Most of the boxes are unpacked, including the important ones (read: kitchen stuff).  We've set up the living room and the bedroom so we can lounge and sleep with some level of comfort.  I've set up the Nintendo, so I'm good to go there.  =0).  There is student stuff but the biggest piece on our hands is planning the Pre-Fall leader's retreat, which will be important but not terribly time consuming.  In many ways, you could say that things are a little slow out here right now.  Honestly, though, I think that's just fine with me. 

Both Megan and I are doers.  I'm super task oriented and Megan loves being active.  We like it best when there is a task to be accomplished or something to do.  In some ways, it is maddening to be here and not be filled to the brim with work, like how things will be in just a few weeks.  With that in mind, I've decided to change my attitude and actually be thankful for the chill time that we have.  There may not be a lot to do in terms of ministry but I believe that it's actually a gift from God that we have time to unpack and unwind a little.  I'd much rather have this than be swamped with work and living out of boxes and suitcases for a few more weeks. 

Transitioning is tough work.  We visited a church today and I felt the pull of trying to see it as its own thing and not compare it to church in St. Louis.  That goes for eating at a restaurant and walking downtown.  Things are different here.  Some may say they are better.  Others may say they are worse.  I'll just say they are different and leave it at that. 

One thing that I've been hearing during this time has been God saying, "Trust me."  Being the task oriented fixer that I am, I've wanted this transition to be just another item on the to-do list.  Things haven't been quite that easy and it's frustrating because I know that the only things that are going to make this better are time and Jesus, two things that I cannot make more of but have to be given to me.  It's not easy right now but I believe that God will make this place a home for us and that it will be awesome. 

Friends, please continue to pray for Megan and me as we continue to transition to life here in Columbia.  Pray that God will be with us as we serve together and learn to serve each other during this time. 

Have an excellent day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment