Friday, July 12, 2013

Discipleship Style...

Hello, friends! 

Now entering my 7th year on staff with InterVarsity, I've had the opportunity to disciple and supervise a number of different folk in a number of different roles.  I have done training, coaching, mentorship, accountability, teaching, preaching, small group leading, and a whole bunch of other roles.  I've worked with students, volunteers, interns, and fellow staff.  Depending on my role, my relationship, and the task at hand, I have learned to adapt my leadership style accordingly.  It hasn't been perfect but I have been learning more and more about how to be an effective leader in a number of different contexts. 

One thing that has stayed constant in my discipleship style though, is my basic philosophy in developing people: I want to help you do what you want to do as well as possible.  What I mean is this.  Sometimes there are instances where my job is to create a gameplan and lead folk toward that gameplan.  But I feel most comfortable when folk have a place they want to go and my job is to help them get there as quickly and successfully as possible.  Even when I have a gameplan, it is usually more of a loose guideline kind of thing that allows for input and wiggle-room. 

Understand, I love specifics.  I have ideas on how things ought to be done and the best way to accomplish goals.  I am not afraid to voice opinion or let folk know when something is going to work or not going to work.  But I have always believed that folk really develop when they own their actions.  If someone does something I tell them to do, they may do it, but it won't be theirs.  When someone outlines their own goals and we craft a gameplan together, that is when they really own their actions and their decisions.  It is a beautiful thing to see it happen. 

However, there is a downside to my leadership style.  Actually, there are two big risks involved.  The first is that this style requires a lot of trust and discernment.  If I am going to help you get where you want to go, I have to trust that you have put in the work to decide where God wants you to go.  Sometimes this can be a bit tougher when it comes to students who do not have a lot of experience listening for God's voice. 

The second risk is that time can sometimes become an issue.  If folk are unsure about their decisions or don't know how to make good decisions, eventually it can get to the point where something is chosen simply because something needs to be done.  I like to say that need is a terrible reason to do something.  This holds true for decisions as well. 

Now that Meg and I are Team Leaders, there are more opportunities for discipleship and influence, especially as we consider branching out to other colleges beyond Mizzou.  Please be praying for us as we continue to develop our leadership styles in a way that will serve those we are leading and give glory to the kingdom. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment