Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thoughts on Multi-Ethnicity...

Hello, friends!

Well, after a few days in sunny California at InterVarsity's Multi-Ethnic Staff Conference (MESC), I have returned to beautiful (albeit rainy) Missouri.  It was quite a week of learning and processing for me. 

There were two big thoughts that I had during MESC that will definitely require some more thought.  The first was in regards to contextualizing the Gospel.  Ken Fong from Evergreen Baptist Church spoke to us about the importance of making sure that we are contextualizing the Gospel for those who we are sharing it with.  He likened the Gospel to finding a pair of jeans that fits.  Every pair of jeans is made of denim, just like the core of the Gospel is the same.  But, jeans are made in different sizes and different styles.  As I try to reach out to Asian Americans, Asian Internationals, and Black students, it is crucial that I be able to translate lordship, discipleship, salvation, and grace to the culture and style of the students I meet.  I think I was convicted that I have been trying going to my default of the Asian American flavor and I need to think more about translation. 

My second thought was in regards to ethnic general vs. ethnic specific ministries.  For as long as I have been alive, I have been a part of ethnic specific ministries.  I attended a Chinese church, was part of an Asian Christian Fellowship during my undergrad, and have staffed an ACF as well as a BCM.  I believe in the mission of ethnic specific ministry and I believe that is a biblical model.  What I did not realize until this week was that my love for ethnic specific ministry has actually led to an antagonistic view toward ethnic general ministry.  The truth is that instead of seeing things as a competition (ethnic general vs. ethnic specific) I need to see things as two sides of the same team, like offense and defense when playing football.  BOTH ethnic general and ethnic specific chapters are good, biblical, and important to the movement. 

So, that was my week.  There is still a ton of processing left to do, including me trying to figure out how to bring all this back to campus.  It should be a fun rest of the semester. 

Prayer Points:
- Spring Break is just a few weeks away!  Please pray for our students as they prepare for a potentially life-changing experience. 
- We have entered mid-term season and students are starting to feel the stress.  Please pray for peace, focus, and good rest for the students.  Burnout is not our friend. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment