Thursday, September 28, 2023

Caught by COVID...

Hello, friends! 

Well, after 3.5 years of avoiding COVID, I finally caught it (or maybe it caught me? Who knows anymore?)

Last Thursday I started having some mild symptoms but it felt very similar to the onset of the flu. There's been a cold/flu going around Omaha lately, so I figured that's what it was, I popped a few ibuprofen before bed, and woke up feeling pretty decent. 

However, during work, I could feel myself getting worse, so I cancelled my afternoon meetings and went home to try to sleep it off (along with more meds). My flus usually last about 48 hours, so we were very much in the "this is normal" phase of things. 

Saturday morning I was still feeling a little blah but generally better, so I figured that things were on the mend. Everything was going according to plan. Still, I took a nap on Saturday afternoon because I was still tired. 

This is where the fun starts. Saturday night, I was having trouble sleeping because of the nap I took Saturday afternoon. We had church in the morning and I was on Parking Lot duty (one of my happy places), so I definitely wanted to get a good night's sleep. I decided to take some melatonin to help me fall asleep. The kind that we have is actually children's dosage, which also means that they are "berry" flavored and come in gummy form. I went to the bathroom, opened up the jar, popped a melatonin in my mouth, was ready to go back to bed, when I had a terrible realization...

I couldn't taste the sleep gummy...

At this point, I decided to take the COVID test. It immediately popped up as being COVID positive and my run of being one of the non-infected, was officially over. We found out that Thaliea also tested COVID positive but the boys and Megan somehow avoided getting infected. This is one weird virus...

Right now, I'm cleared out of isolation and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm still tired but I'm told that this is normal. I'm hoping to be back to normal before the beginning of curling season on Sunday. 

Just last week, I reminded myself that I needed to schedule my flu shot and COVID booster. I usually do it in early November since that's usually when the flu gets bad around here. I guess I was a few weeks late. =0). 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam 


No comments:

Post a Comment