Wednesday, October 21, 2020

World Polio Day!

Hello, friends! 

When I first moved to Columbia, MO, all those years ago, one of the first things that I did was join the local Rotary club. At least part of that reason was because I needed to meet people and build networks when as I was living in a new place. But, I also new that Rotary was going to be my jam, as opposed to the Elks, the Optimists, or any of the other service oriented clubs because of my history with Rotarians. In high school, I was part of the Interact Club, which was the high school version of Rotary. The Garden Grove Rotary Club funded by Eagle Scout Project too. I've always had a soft spot for Rotarians. 

One of the favorite things that Rotary does, apart from community service, social events, and wonderful conversations from interesting people, is their dedication to the eradication of Polio. 

Polio is a virus that attacks the spinal cord and can lead to paralysis, among other symptoms. In the 1950's, a vaccine was developed and the world was changed. In 1985, the year I was born, Rotary took up the cause of eradicating polio. Earlier this summer, the WHO announced that Africa was officially free from wild polio. Currently, Iran and Afghanistan are the only countries in the world that still have wild polio. This is, in no small part, because of the work of Rotary. 

Saturday is World Polio Day! If you have some time, watch this video about Rotary's history in combating polio and consider giving to the End Polio Now fund


Drop to Zero-Polio Plus from Joe Meyer on Vimeo.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment