Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Happy Birthday, Grandma Horner!!!

Hello, friends!

This past weekend we had the pleasure of heading up to SoDak to see family for a few days. Here are some photos of the older kids playing in the snow:




Now, we are currently in the middle of curling season, and I had a match on Sunday but I called in a sub so I could go on this trip. What was so important that I'd be willing to skip CURLING?!?!

Grandma Horner turned 95!

Megan's grandmother is one sweet and caring woman. She's also incredibly strong and terribly interesting. She remembers there being only 48 states. She's lived in the same house for over 60 years. She raised 9 kids. She and her husband (Whiz) square danced in all 50 states before he died in 1990. Here's a photo with 4 generations of the Horner clan including Grandma, Megan's mom, Megan, and our kids:



I have one story about Grandma that needs to be shared and now feels like as good a time as any. For the first few years of Meg and me being together, I had exactly one job to do: get Grandma connected to the internet. One year her children bought her a laptop so she could keep up with her emails and such. Of course, a laptop isn't much good without the internet, so they got her that too. Being that I was the relative new guy and slightly more tech savvy than anyone else in the family, it was my job to set up the laptop and show her how to use it.

This did not go well...

First, I had to show her how to use everything. Then, when the settings got changed, I had to show her again. Then I had to change the settings to how things were before. Then there were problems resetting the router and changing the wifi password. Every time we went back to Watertown to visit, I'd ask Grandma the same question: "How's the computer treating you?" The answer was also always the same: "I haven't used that thing in months. I don't know what's wrong with it."

Eventually, someone decided that it really wasn't worth it to keep paying for internet that wasn't being used or to keep around a laptop that was only bringing wailing, crying, and the gnashing of teeth. Still, I'd like to think that my brief time as tech support endeared me to Grandma Horner.

As a gift, everyone in the family contributed to a book we made for Grandma Horner: 95 things we love about you. Elena, my niece, read it to her and it sure seemed like she enjoyed it. She's had a lasting legacy and doesn't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, which is pretty great.

So, as I say for all of my birthdays, let's shoot for doubling our age, shall we, Grandma Horner?! Here's to (at least) 95 more!

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment