Wednesday, September 4, 2019

It's Curling Season!

Hello, friends!

If you know me, you know that I have a number of different loves in my life. I love Jesus. I love my wife and my kids. I love my family. I love the St. Louis Cardinals. I love biking. I love a lot of things. You probably also know that I love curling.

What is curling? I'm glad you asked! Allow me (or rather, this 2 minute video) to explain!


Look, I'm not saying I'm obsessed with curling. I'm just saying that I may or may not have driven from Columbia to Kansas City to go curling on occasion. And I may or may not have gone to the Vancouver Olympics in 2010 to watch curling. And it's possible that in Vancouver I had a conversation with the parents of an Olympic curler and the mother complemented me on my knowledge of curling and it may or may not have been one of the greatest complements I've ever received. And maybe I was up late yelling at the TV in 2018 when the US Men's team started the tournament 1-4 and won 6 straight matches to claim the gold.

However, what I am saying is that it is now curling season at the Aksarben Curling Club here in Omaha, and I am ready to go! I'm by no means a great curler but I'm ready to go!

At this point, you may be asking yourself, "Self, how did a Southern California boy get into a winter sport like curling?!" The answer, my friends, is Fred Roggin.

Fred Roggin is the sportscaster for KNBC Channel 4 in Southern California. During the 2002 Nagano Olympics, which was broadcast by NBC, Fred Roggin was in charge of the curling coverage. My brother and I, recognizing Fred, decided to watch some curling. I wasn't hooked quite then but by 2006, I had caught the curling bug.

Omaha has a curling club, and in my unbiased opinion, it rocks (Get it?)! This will be my third season curling with them and I'm ready to go. Curling teams are teams of 4. My friend Doug (pictured above) and I got randomly paired together when we first started in the Spring of 2018. The other 2 on our team have switched each season (and will be switching again this season) but we're still good to go. I'll be helping with the instructional league in September then our official league will start up in October. It's so close I can feel it! Hooray for curling! =0).

There is probably the question floating in your head right now as to what me curling has to do with ministry. The answer is that it probably doesn't a ton. However, there is some connection. Much like OBC, curling has been one of the things that has made Omaha feel like home. I know I do better work when I feel like I'm in a stable place and thriving. It seems kind of silly, but knowing that I have a few hours each week where I can do something I love and have fun is pretty great.

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment