Thursday, February 7, 2019

Happy New Year!!!

Hello, friends!

Did you know that Tuesday was the Lunar New Year? If you didn't, well, now you know! You can find some more information here.

My relationship with the Lunar New Year is an interesting one. It's one of those holidays that I acknowledged growing up but it didn't have a whole lot of significance for me until much later in life.

There is one exception though. I'm born in January 1985, which makes me technically a Rat but until I had that realization, I identified as an Ox. In 1997, which was also the year of the Ox, I decided that I didn't need to go to school because it was "my year." I made my own holiday. Was it right? Probably not. Did it mean anything to me? Certainly not. Would I do it again? Absolutely. =0).

Other than that one year though, the only thing that really mattered to me was that Papa John (my dad, not the pizza guy) made a soup out of brown sugar, ginger, and balls made of glutenous rice flour. I have no idea of its cultural significance but I know that it is delicious.

When I got to college (Go Bears!) LNYF was a big thing at WashU (Go Bears!) but because I didn't care much about the Lunar New Year growing up, I didn't partake in the festivities with the same fervor as many of my friends.

But then I moved to CoMO. And when I moved to CoMO, I was suddenly lacking in Asian American peer community. I was also trying to create a home for Asian American students at Mizzou so I needed to steep myself more in some of those traditions. Suddenly, my appreciation for the Lunar New Year festivities grew, and it's grown ever since. Marrying Megan and being involved in international student ministry has also helped.

Celebrating this year was a lot of fun. We had some friends over and we had a dumpling making party while watching a great documentary about Chinese history (read: Disney's Mulan). Of course, I made my dad's dessert soup and everyone left full.

It's funny how culture and cultural pride develops and evolves over time. As I've moved further and further away from critical masses of Asian American community (Southern California to St. Louis to CoMO, to now Omaha), I've found myself gravitating more towards the Chinese side of my identity. I've started learning Mandarin. I'm trying to affirm Ezra and Thaliea's Chinese identity more. It's an interesting journey. I doubt that I'll ever forsake my "American culture" side but I can see myself becoming more and more discontented with some of the ways that American Culture functions.

God doesn't make mistakes. He made me Chinese American for a purpose. I'm fully Chinese and fully American. Figuring out what that means exactly has been fun, if not also delicious. =0).

Have an excellent day!

~Adam




No comments:

Post a Comment