Friday, March 18, 2016

Chasing the Yeti...

Hello, friends!

Depending on when you're reading this, I'm either on my way, currently in, or on my way home from beautiful Springfield, MO, home of the Missouri State University Bears, the Springfield Cardinals (One of St. Louis' minor league teams), and what I call the Yeti of InterVarsity at Missouri.

I say this because in my 9 years of being on staff with InterVarsity, Springfield has probably had more false starts than any city in our state. There are at least a half dozen colleges and universities in the city limits and literally tens of thousands of college students. We have contacts in Springfield, people who love Jesus and want to see more students reached with the Gospel. We've had people almost affiliate their current ministries with InterVarsity and almost have people join staff so they could do work in Springfield. I've visited there at least a half dozen times to meet students, scout, and generally see what's shaking. We know that God is there. We know that something COULD happen. We just haven't put it all together quite yet. Thus, much like the mysterious Yeti, we see glimpses but no definitive proof.

This trip I'm taking will be to visit a student I've known for the past 4 years or so. I don't remember how we first got into contact with each other but ever since his Freshman year, we've kept in touch and I've visited when I can to see what's happening. In December, this student went to Urbana and had a life change moment. He went back to campus and started a bible study with some of his friends and they've been meeting regularly ever since. I'm going to offer my support, see what's happening on campus, pray a little bit, and try to cast vision for a student led InterVarsity movement at Missouri State.

Friends, I'm not sure what to expect during my time there. On the one hand, it could be great. I could show up and there's a group of missional students who want to see the campus reached with the Gospel. I could walk into a room full of graduating Seniors with no desire to hang around Springfield. I really don't know.

What I do know is that my call is to be faithful. I told this student a while back that I would visit at some point so that's what I'm going to do. I'm not worried about what I'll find there because I know that either way, Jesus will be working. We could end up with a new chapter at Missouri State. We could end up with another Yeti sighting. I really don't know.

So, friends, please be praying for me. Pray for the 3 hour drive that's ahead of me. Pray that God will move through the bible study today. Pray that God will give me good wisdom and insight into the work that he's already doing in Springfield. Pray that God will bring a revival to Missouri State.

Have an excellent day!

No comments:

Post a Comment