Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Suffering with the Body...

Friends,

As I'm sure all of you have heard, yesterday, a grand jury decided to not indict Officer Wilson for the killing of Michael Brown on August 9th of this year. While this was not unexpected, it doesn't hurt any less. My brothers and sisters in the black community are being continually reminded that in the United States, the killing of an unarmed black teenager by law enforcement is nothing new and will continue to be unchecked by the legal system that claims to protect all citizens.

Let me be clear here. I was not in the grand jury deliberations. I have not yet reviewed all the evidence. I was not present so I do not know what "really happened." My cause for suffering comes not just because Officer Wilson will be able to resume his life while Michael Brown will not. My suffering comes because my friends in the Black community are suffering. This wasn't just about this case. This was about 400 years of systematic injustice. Despite what many on Facebook want to say, this wasn't just a matter of open and shut, let's find all the facts, determine who is guilty, and move on with our lives. It was one part of America feeling like it has been kicked in the teeth one time too many and trying to say, enough is enough.

When I think about all my various networks, I am so thankful for how God has blessed me with such a diverse group of friends and family to which I can learn. There is the Chinese Christian community where I spent the first 18 years of my life. There are the Black fellow WashU Students (Go Bears!) who I have the pleasure of calling some of my best friends. There are the mid-western Asian Americans I have had the pleasure of working with for the past 8 years. There are my White friends who I have met in school, in church, and just by virtue of living in the Midwest for the past 12 years. When the Grand Jury decision was released, my mind went to all of those groups and how to be the best friend I could to each group.

There are a lot of temptations out there right now. The following messages are generalizations so I apologize if this does not apply to you. I mean no disrespect.

For my White friends, now is not the time to be posting articles about the "facts" of the case. Speaking as a minority, every article you post about the "facts of the case" comes off as gloating. Whether intended or not, it smacks of, "see, I TOLD you he deserved to die." Now is also not the time to move on, assuming that justice has been done. For every person who has said or thought something to the effect of, "well, of course I care about racial reconciliation but..." now is your chance to shine. This is where you say, "An indictment didn't happen. This case is closed in the eyes of the law, but I said I care about justice so I'm going to keep fighting for it on behalf of my brothers and sisters in the Black community." This is your time. Suffer with the body. Empathize. Do not disengage. Seek out your brothers and sisters in the Black community and see what you can do to suffer with them and stand united with them.

Speaking to my Asian American friends, here's what I wrote to an Asian American student who asked about what it means to suffer as the whole body suffers.

The short answer is to care. If your foot hurts, the whole body walks with a limp. The other foot takes on more weight. The eyes are extra careful to see things on the ground. Every part of the body is affected.

To suffer with them means to engage in conversation with them about how they are feeling. It means to advocate on their behalf. It means to walk alongside them add they suffer. It means to feel their pain as best you can.

How that looks for you may be different than me. It could mean going to a protest. It could mean taking a friend out to coffee and letting them vent. It could mean a lot of different things. But it does mean acting like you care and not letting excuses keeping you from engaging on some level.

Have fun suffering. I will be right there with you, as a member of the same body.

Last but not least, to my Black friends. I want you here. You have enriched my life in so many ways through your friendships. You've shown me a new way to see and preach the Gospel. You've accepted me as a friend and a brother. Words cannot begin to express how important each of you is to me. Right now it may feel like the US is not a place for you. It may feel unsafe. It may feel oppressive. It may feel unjust. I won't argue with you on any of those points. Just know that I want you here.

~Adam




No comments:

Post a Comment